• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Scooby Forrester"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    I cover 20-odd miles in fairly heavy traffic down country lanes, narrow village streets and 40-limited outer-city roads to get to work, in around 35 minutes including traffic light stops, so I'm not hanging around. On the other hand, the auto is quite smart (and adaptive) and it's got over 250 lb/ft of torque for most of its rev range so you don't have the thrash it to the redline to go forward. (You get the same engine in the Impreza and that goes everywhere in fourth if you're feeling lazy and still disappears into the distance). Also, of course, it corners flat (for a tall SUV anyway) and is pretty agile so you don't have to slow down too much for the twisities.

No doubt it would be horrible in full time city traffic and it doesn't seem to do significantly better on a long motorway run at a cruise-controlled 80mph, so clearly driving style has something to do with it. Then again, my mate's Cayenne regularly does 15mpg and he does use motorways.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I average 29mpg, on an auto/tiptronic and I use the performance. And anyway, you're on expenses, aren't you?

Diesel is a flat four (!!), landing in a new Forester soon (it's already in the Legacy). I doubt it'll frighten Boxsters though....
    Hhmmm I used to have an Impreza 2.0 WRX and never got anywhere near 29mpg? In fact that’s all I get from my Civic Type-r, do you only ever drive downhill or something??

As for expenses I only break even with about 30mpg, I want it to work in my favour which reminds me, if fuel has gone up 20% shouldn’t we be getting 50p per mile by now?

Proper fast 4x4!!!
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 17 April 2008, 21:33.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Or get a proper 4x4:

http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Series/index.html

Acceleration: 0 to 60 not tested - I bottled out at 55mph
    Top Speed: not tested over 55mph
    Economy: currently ~ 12mpg

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Do you have the Forester STI from Japan (300+ bhp I think) or the UK XT model (250 bhp). The former is the one for eating Boxters, but the UK model hits 60 in 6 seconds (according to Subaru) and tops out at 130 MPH. No quicker than a leisurely X5 4.8

PS. The interior looks more cheap and plasticy than a 1995 Clio 1.0
    I like the clio,

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I average 29mpg, on an auto/tiptronic and I use the performance. And anyway, you're on expenses, aren't you?

Diesel is a flat four (!!), landing in a new Forester soon (it's already in the Legacy). I doubt it'll frighten Boxsters though....
    Do you have the Forester STI from Japan (300+ bhp I think) or the UK XT model (250 bhp). The former is the one for eating Boxters, but the UK model hits 60 in 6 seconds (according to Subaru) and tops out at 130 MPH. No quicker than a leisurely X5 4.8

PS. The interior looks more cheap and plasticy than a 1995 Clio 1.0

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    What do you reckon?

Understated class for the landed gentry

or

Chavvy Chelsea tractor.
    Seriously considering buying one, "bank robbers getaway vehicle par excellance"

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I really wanted the XT 2.5 a few months back but the reality is I never know where I'll be working and how far I'll have to commute so something that does sub 20mpg in this day and age with fuel prices that will only ever go up doesn’t really fit the bill anymore.

A diesel may change my mind though, I didn't know there was one?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Chavorama Karma Harmer.

That's the first thing that came to mind. It may have no relevance to anything at all. I just like the way it - like the aforementioned furry-cup-cuppers - trips off the tongue.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I really wanted the XT 2.5 a few months back but the reality is I never know where I'll be working and how far I'll have to commute so something that does sub 20mpg in this day and age with fuel prices that will only ever go up doesn’t really fit the bill anymore.

A diesel may change my mind though, I didn't know there was one?

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by MOH View Post
    Is that the Airfix edition ?

Leave a comment:

• MOH
    replied
    a real ugly car

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...W_X5_4.8is.jpg

Leave a comment:

• WallySan
    replied
    not as ugly as

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...W_X5_4.8is.jpg

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    http://imwww.imgroup.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW...erhomepage.jpg

sexy

what you want is a nice Jiangling Landwind
    Last edited by unemployed; 17 April 2008, 17:46.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Forester to me says - a 4x4 that isn't a Chelsea tractor and does go off road occasionally - but I don't need a full-on offroader 0 just something for the weekend, i.e. for shooting etc

X5 & Cayenne say "Merchant Banker" (as in Cockney version) in a "Chelsea Tractor" to me.

PS I drive a CRV and a Series Landrover - BOTH of which do go off-road
    I have all-terrain tyres on the CRV now to get better off-road grip - and surprisingly are better on road as well.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    The original line was "Women are for looking at and sh*gging and Cars are for sitting in and driving" which is both more poetic and totally non-PC.

OK, so I'm a wimp in an ugly car. Got a nice wife though...
    Does she partake of the furry cup?

(sorry couldn't resist )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X