• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any room on the bench?"

Collapse

• Zorba
    replied
    Chef (or anyone else who has responded similarly), you can have my place on the bench. Been sat here since Christmas, health scare and house renovation, and finally decided that there's some '.net' work that must need doing.

It was surprisingly tiring - picking up the kids and being ignored by schoolmoms is boring after a few days.

Don't know how long the graft will last though! Hopefully until xmas hols time...

Respect to all.

Z

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    I thought he was a carpenter and therefore immune from the bench? Could always ask him to make a new one I guess...
    Not sure I would even give him the controls for the tele.....

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I thought he was a carpenter and therefore immune from the bench? Could always ask him to make a new one I guess...
    Then we could tell him to sit on it.

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    We can fit a few more on if HRH will lift his snaggle toothed 12 sandwich eating lardy butt off the bench!!!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It maybe a good time to pick up a cheap Porsche.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Saw this on house price crash forum and surprised it had not been posted here somewhere:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...312948,00.html

Budge up, might be a few more of us hitting the bench yet.
    On CNN an expert reckoned the figure was very conservative, JP Morgan have already revised upwards. The expert reckoned that banks had over recruited, over the last decade, they need to shed about 120,000 jobs. The worst job cull in the City since 1929.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 April 2008, 07:57.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Currently in a contract till end of September, been told that there is 'loads more work' so quite hopeful. In fact I know there is lots to do as I put together the technical roadmap for the next 5 years, don't think I will be here that long though.

Client is a retailer at the 'budget' end of the market, so the theory is that if there is a downturn they will do quite well.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Saw this on house price crash forum and surprised it had not been posted here somewhere:

We can fit a few more on if HRH will lift his snaggle toothed 12 sandwich eating lardy butt off the bench!!!

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    Been in my current contract for in total, 12 years now.
    Have been "outsourced" as of 1st March, and the role is moving to Sao Paulo.

So, bench time beckons here too, or I seriously start considering a move to Qatar to work with a mate.

Anyone here have any experience of working in the far east ?

Rhubarb.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I am also developing a web site for my local pub for a few pints so any web masters advice would be appreciated.
    Sounds like an honorable project - PM the url if you need any feedback.

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied

Job losses in the City of London as a result of the international fallout from the credit crunch are expected to be around 40,000, according to analysts.

The estimate doubles a calculation in December that 20,000 city workers will go as the consequences of the US sub-prime crisis echo round the world.

Leave a comment:

• max
    replied
    The morning before...

the big push, in the trenches of Somme.

Here's the feme toon to "World at War" to lift the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j653eqMTNI
    Last edited by max; 15 April 2008, 22:53.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    This is somthing that I think would really interest me... operational research and optimisation and the like. How do you get into it?
    Me? I winged it. No, literally.

To be fair I did have some operational knowledge then I kind of fell into it. Its amazing how really simple skills such as "can import data into access and use sql to make sense of it" is needed. Thats all I do.

Then just make sense of it and tell the operation how to change. Automate stuff with some VBA

Its mainly BI work. Not going to set the world on fire at £300 a day but only 10 mins from where I live and almost recession proof (given I am saving more than I am costing and companies always want to save money).

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Seat on the bench

You can keep mine warm if you like. But I'll be wanting it back in September!

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Just finished my contract and taking a week off before.....a 6 month extension kicks in. Looking fine in my neck of the woods at the moment (J2EE).

Good luck to those benched. My advice, see if you can get work at a bailiffs or auction house, I suspect they might be needing a few extra hands in the near future...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X