• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who's taken a beating?"

Collapse

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Plus the idea of any major violence in the Richmond/Sheen/Barnes area I frequent nowadays is laughable....

Apart from the rugger buggers throwing a few punches now and then
    Coach and Horses?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    feral youths are spreading...
    I'd like to spread them - all over the road with a steamroller.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Plus the idea of any major violence in the Richmond/Sheen/Barnes area I frequent nowadays is laughable....

Don't get too complacent Sas, feral youths are spreading...

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtime..._sentenced.php

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Fair enough, you can only go by what you've experienced yourself or know what others have.

For me London is a safe city, judged on an evening out in my local area and in central London. never seen or experienced anything, not even a fight (Some handbags yes).

This is way less than compared to most other cities I've seen in the UK - too many too mention but my experience is that Fri/Sat night come closing time is fight night. I lived in Aberdeen for a while when I was younger and my mates and me used to go down the main drag on weekend nights when we were bored and having a quiet one just to watch the inevitable fights that would break out round the food places or taxi ranks.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I saw the knife attack on a train, Wimbledon area. I've seen people attacked on night buses several times. To be fair the attacks in London are mainly money motivated drug addict crimes or mental illness related, whereas random alcohol related attacks are less frequent.
    Agree. But it's mostly the mental cases who have been released early or never incarcerated at all that seem to cause the most havoc.

The only knife-related incident I have seen over many years in London was some young lad who was clearly ill, and not all there, wandering around with a 6-inch kitchen knife in his hand muttering vaguely and angrily to himself.

He never directly threatened anyone, but you could see the potential was there and that he could likely turn in an instant.

Several concerned citizens called the plod, but of course, they never showed up, and he eventually wandered away.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I agree with Snaw. I've lived in London most of my life with a few years on the south coast and a couple of years up north. I saw more violence in both the non-London areas than anywhere else - and in the past I've lived/visited areas which are meant to be pretty rough e.g.

in the 80s used to go to the Mean Fiddler which was in Harlesden
    in the 90s regularly visited Brixton for the night life
    Lived in Archway, Kennington and the East End in the past

Just experienced a couple of minor incidents in London in all that time.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Eh?

I think you'll find that the knife culture thing is confined to a few dodgy areas in London which most of us here are never gonna visit. You don't see or hear about stabbings outside of those areas.

Some of you guys have a really fliped up view of London.

I feel much less safe in most small towns in Britain - or some cities (Glasgow for example, I love it - but I've seen worse there than anywhere else I've ever lived).
    I saw the knife attack on a train, Wimbledon area. I've seen people attacked on night buses several times. To be fair the attacks in London are mainly money motivated drug addict crimes or mental illness related, whereas random alcohol related fisty cuff attacks are less frequent.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Don't lie SAS you admitted last week you had an incident on this very site. The difference is, in the North you could be punched, in London you would be stabbed. Never seen many fist fights in London, but I have seen knife attacks which is worse a black eye or bleeding to death?
    Which incident was that? The attempted mugging by a guy who ran away when I refused to hand over anything?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    You should be more worried about heart disease, or being killed by cheese

The major causes of death in the UK are. . .having a sizeable piece of cheese land on your head: 2 per cent

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv..._author_id=362

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Don't lie SAS you admitted last week you had an incident on this very site. The difference is, in the North you could be punched, in London you would be stabbed. Never seen many fist fights in London, but I have seen knife attacks which is worse a black eye or bleeding to death?
    Eh?

I think you'll find that the knife culture thing is confined to a few dodgy areas in London which most of us here are never gonna visit. You don't see or hear about stabbings outside of those areas.

Some of you guys have a really fecked up view of London.

I feel much less safe in most small towns in Britain - or some cities (Glasgow for example, I love it - but I've seen worse there than anywhere else I've ever lived).

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Here's a top tip for asking directions nicely in New York:
    "Excuse me, can you tell me the way to the Empire State Building, or should I go **** myself again?"

My most embarassing trip to the pub oop North I had was when I had a contract in Harogate. I went into a strange sort of pub across the street from my cheap bedist and discovered when inside it was a working mens club or somesuch rather than a pub. Anyway they seemed friendly enough and served me and I went on to their fruit machine. I won £60 in pound coins almost straight away, and the machine took ages to empty. One guy was making some kind of fuss and his mates were trying to talk him out of something. He was only a little chap but even so I was feeling pretty rotton for having emptied their machine and offered to buy everyone a drink. The barman was a good guy and wouldn't have any of it it and said he knew me and that I was his guest. Anyway I thought I'd better not hang around and legged it with pockets full of their pound coins.

Well considering Harrogate is one of the Richest towns in the UK they were probably embarrased/insulted that you thought they would be jealous

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    funny that, now that you mention it I never saw anyone get stabbed oop here. Don't underestimate the structural dislocation that can be inflicted by a doc martin though

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Platpussy is due one

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    If you speak with a nice (so-called posh) accent or a Southern/Cockney one, DO NOT try and be 'friendly' with the locals from the 'provinces' as you will more-likely-than-not endanger yourself. Just walk in, as in a Clint Eastwood western, order your drink and observe. If anyone wishes to talk to you, then look them up and down and decide if you need to respond with a grunt or a few words. After a while or even a few times, they'll get the message. Works in the most dangerous places all over the world, eg Baghdad, Beirut, Liverpool, etc.
    Here's a top tip for asking directions nicely in New York:
    "Excuse me, can you tell me the way to the Empire State Building, or should I go **** myself again?"

My most embarassing trip to the pub oop North I had was when I had a contract in Harogate. I went into a strange sort of pub across the street from my cheap bedist and discovered when inside it was a working mens club or somesuch rather than a pub. Anyway they seemed friendly enough and served me and I went on to their fruit machine. I won £60 in pound coins almost straight away, and the machine took ages to empty. One guy was making some kind of fuss and his mates were trying to talk him out of something. He was only a little chap but even so I was feeling pretty rotton for having emptied their machine and offered to buy everyone a drink. The barman was a good guy and wouldn't have any of it it and said he knew me and that I was his guest. Anyway I thought I'd better not hang around and legged it with pockets full of their pound coins.
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 14 April 2008, 12:40.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X