• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's taken a beating?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    And avoid diamonds at all costs... trust me...

Dont you think it's time to let go ?
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      And avoid diamonds at all costs... trust me...
      I buy them but they're never mine. Funny that, eh?

Comment

Suggestion

If you speak with a nice (so-called posh) accent or a Southern/Cockney one, DO NOT try and be 'friendly' with the locals from the 'provinces' as you will more-likely-than-not endanger yourself. Just walk in, as in a Clint Eastwood western, order your drink and observe. If anyone wishes to talk to you, then look them up and down and decide if you need to respond with a grunt or a few words. After a while or even a few times, they'll get the message. Works in the most dangerous places all over the world, eg Baghdad, Beirut, Liverpool, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          No problems that I've seen in London. And in the past I did quite often stagger back from the pub in quite rough areas. Saw quite a bit up north when I lived there though. It's them northern monkeys.
          Don't lie SAS you admitted last week you had an incident on this very site. The difference is, in the North you could be punched, in London you would be stabbed. Never seen many fist fights in London, but I have seen knife attacks which is worse a black eye or bleeding to death?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
            If you speak with a nice (so-called posh) accent or a Southern/Cockney one, DO NOT try and be 'friendly' with the locals from the 'provinces' as you will more-likely-than-not endanger yourself. Just walk in, as in a Clint Eastwood western, order your drink and observe. If anyone wishes to talk to you, then look them up and down and decide if you need to respond with a grunt or a few words. After a while or even a few times, they'll get the message. Works in the most dangerous places all over the world, eg Baghdad, Beirut, Liverpool, etc.
            Here's a top tip for asking directions nicely in New York:
            "Excuse me, can you tell me the way to the Empire State Building, or should I go **** myself again?"

My most embarassing trip to the pub oop North I had was when I had a contract in Harogate. I went into a strange sort of pub across the street from my cheap bedist and discovered when inside it was a working mens club or somesuch rather than a pub. Anyway they seemed friendly enough and served me and I went on to their fruit machine. I won £60 in pound coins almost straight away, and the machine took ages to empty. One guy was making some kind of fuss and his mates were trying to talk him out of something. He was only a little chap but even so I was feeling pretty rotton for having emptied their machine and offered to buy everyone a drink. The barman was a good guy and wouldn't have any of it it and said he knew me and that I was his guest. Anyway I thought I'd better not hang around and legged it with pockets full of their pound coins.
            Last edited by TimberWolf; 14 April 2008, 12:40.

Comment

Platpussy is due one

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Don't lie SAS you admitted last week you had an incident on this very site. The difference is, in the North you could be punched, in London you would be stabbed. Never seen many fist fights in London, but I have seen knife attacks which is worse a black eye or bleeding to death?
                funny that, now that you mention it I never saw anyone get stabbed oop here. Don't underestimate the structural dislocation that can be inflicted by a doc martin though

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Here's a top tip for asking directions nicely in New York:
                  "Excuse me, can you tell me the way to the Empire State Building, or should I go **** myself again?"

My most embarassing trip to the pub oop North I had was when I had a contract in Harogate. I went into a strange sort of pub across the street from my cheap bedist and discovered when inside it was a working mens club or somesuch rather than a pub. Anyway they seemed friendly enough and served me and I went on to their fruit machine. I won £60 in pound coins almost straight away, and the machine took ages to empty. One guy was making some kind of fuss and his mates were trying to talk him out of something. He was only a little chap but even so I was feeling pretty rotton for having emptied their machine and offered to buy everyone a drink. The barman was a good guy and wouldn't have any of it it and said he knew me and that I was his guest. Anyway I thought I'd better not hang around and legged it with pockets full of their pound coins.

Well considering Harrogate is one of the Richest towns in the UK they were probably embarrased/insulted that you thought they would be jealous
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Eh?

I think you'll find that the knife culture thing is confined to a few dodgy areas in London which most of us here are never gonna visit. You don't see or hear about stabbings outside of those areas.

Some of you guys have a really fecked up view of London.

I feel much less safe in most small towns in Britain - or some cities (Glasgow for example, I love it - but I've seen worse there than anywhere else I've ever lived).
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

You should be more worried about heart disease, or being killed by cheese

The major causes of death in the UK are. . .having a sizeable piece of cheese land on your head: 2 per cent

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv..._author_id=362

Comment

Working...
                      X