• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I want a Cab, innit"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Dey is reclaimin' dayer roots, init.

Like the twats that reject the English names they were born with an adopt some kind of faux African name. Like that plonker who's always on Newsnight Review - Kwame Cumquot, (born Ian Roberts!) or some such.
    Surely that was African enough?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Reminds me of a black chap I was in uni with, he had a perfect RP accent... seemed quite incongruous compared with some of the African patois that was more usual, but much much easier to comprehend...

I often wonder whatever happened to some of these people.
    Dey is reclaimin' dayer roots, init.

Like the twats that reject the English names they were born with an adopt some kind of faux African name. Like that plonker who's always on Newsnight Review - Kwame Cumquot, (born Ian Roberts!) or some such.

BTW don't get me started on the tossers who appear on Newsnight Review

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    You get your chavspeak down south, but you should hear what we need to contend with up here in Scotland. It seems that everyone between 14 and 23 wears a lacoste trackie and speaks with a lanarkshire accent regardless of where they live. And then end every sentence with the word "nomeen", which I think is a contraction of "does one know what I mean?". Makes me mad.
    [viz tip]Chavs, avoid having to suffix every sentence with "naarmean?", by talking properly in the first place, thus ensuring you are instantly understood by the listener.[/viz tip]

Leave a comment:

• roadster198
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I'm not entirely sure I liked being lumped in with a bunch of sassanachs, to be used as a tool of comparison.

Aye. Gonni noe dae that, jist gonni noe.
    it's only chav scots that talk like that my friend

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    As for Cardiff in the cup final - "Play up Pompey" (Yes I am a Pompey fan)
    bloomin skates.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Makes me laugh, especially all the white kids trying to be black.
    Or indeed the black kids trying to be black.

Some years ago at a friend's house there was a black guy who talked with a very strong accent in some kind of Jamaican patois mixed with Gangsta talk (or whatever it's called).

After he left my friend explained that they'd been at school together, and until he was about sixteen the bloke had talked perfectly good English with a distinctly middle-class accent

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Spelling amended.

"nomeen" - know what I mean. Its how the neds say it - honestly.
    It's

They intend it as a question, hence my grammar.

PS. Ignore me, am being a git.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Spelling amended.

"nomeen" - know what I mean. Its how the neds say it - honestly.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    You get your chavspeak down south, but you should here waht we need to contend with up here in Scotland. It seems that everyone between 14 and 23 wears a lacoste trackie and speaks with a lanarkshire accent regardless of where they live. And then end every sentence with the word "nomeen", which I think is a contraction of "does one know what I mean?". Makes me mad.
    hear

what

nomeen?

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    You get your chavspeak down south, but you should hear what we need to contend with up here in Scotland. It seems that everyone between 14 and 23 wears a lacoste trackie and speaks with a lanarkshire accent regardless of where they live. And then end every sentence with the word "nomeen", which I think is a contraction of "does one know what I mean?". Makes me mad.
    Last edited by Alan @ BroomeAffinity; 11 April 2008, 15:58.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Bit of a commute to fratton park from Yorkshire I'd have thought?
    504 miles round trip

And sometimes you wonder why, then other times (like last week) it makes it seem so worthwhile

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Bit of a commute to fratton park from Yorkshire I'd have thought?

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    anybody who says off of should be shot

as in I got off of the motorway
    I picked it up off of the table

no, you got off the motorway
    you picked it up off the table
    Or says "What" (pronounced whaaarttt) instead of pardon

Sounds like a flock of crows in full cry

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I agree, but we do have a common language (Welsh & Celtic speakers acknowledged but are minority languages). Throughout the nation, we have regional accents but it is the introduction of this "chav speak" for want of a better phrase that is the problem highlighted on this thread. A Geordie, Scot, Cockney, Brummie, et al would all ask for a cab or a taxi. The pronouniciation may be different but no-one would end the word cab or taxi with innit. What these people do not realise is that whilst they think it may make them appear cool within their own peer groups, it gives everyone else the impression that they are too lazy to learn their own native tongue and come across as uneducated.

I'm not entirely sure I liked being lumped in with a bunch of sassanachs, to be used as a tool of comparison.

Aye. Gonni noe dae that, jist gonni noe.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    anybody who says off of should be shot

as in I got off of the motorway
    I picked it up off of the table

no, you got off the motorway
    you picked it up off the table

Leave a comment:

Working...
X