• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ex-Army IT Folk

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ex-Army IT Folk"

Collapse

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    I reckon you can always spot the ex-army guys.
    Have to agree with you on that one, hard to put your finger on it but there is a certain personality that they all have.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Led a cross-service programme for the MOD a few years back. All four services had their own abilities which kind of aligned to how they work

Army - basically a lot of small units, all trying to outdo each other. Get a team that works and they're brilliant, but don't try and get them to do anything corporate or cooperative.

Navy - Ships run because everyone -officers and ORs - have to work together. Best team players in the world, usually useless as individuals though.

RAF - it takes 400 people to put a pilot in the sky. That's all they can do, put one thing up at a time. Great people, terrible workers!

Civil Service - best spellcheckers on the planet. Don't expect them to do anything else though...

(disclaimer: personal view only. The programme was a success despite my input!)

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    You mean as an infallible method of getting a few teeth knocked out every time?
    Got to be cheaper than using an NHS dentist (that's if you can find one)

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Eh?

That bloke was posher than me!
    No Jog, you missed the (obviously tenuous) gag. Since you made a mention of The Apprentice I thought I'd instantly accuse you of picking on Northerners, like so http://forums.contractoruk.com/514966-post32.html.

Clearly we need a tumbleweed smiley. This will have to do.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    Oi! Stop picking on the Northerners!

Eh?

That bloke was posher than me!

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Ex-army: I like to blow up a crisp packet and burst it behind them. Try it, works every time.
    You mean as an infallible method of getting a few teeth knocked out every time?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Have you ever worked for the civil service?
    If I answer that, I'll have to kill you.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I worked with an ex army guy in 1994 - always wore a bowler hat to work. bumped into him in 2003 - still wearing at.

Terribly nice chap - great since of humour. And came in handy the night someone got into a fight with a cyclist...

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Yeah - and they try and cook sausages using large empty baked bean tins while trying to sell cheese to the french.
    Oi! Stop picking on the Northerners!

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    No, but in the status obsessed culture we've created having a big job title is more important than doing any real work.
    Real work is overated, but so are job titles. Money, happiness and laziness.. those are worthy goal.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Ex-army: I like to blow up a crisp packet and burst it behind them. Try it, works every time.
    What happens? Do they go a bit like Flippy from the Happy Tree Friends?

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    One of the most hard-working and dedicated permie sys admins I've ever worked with was ex-Army, hell of a nice guy too. One of those JFDI types that could find any workaround to a problem, guaranteed.

He was made redundant. Probably because he kept his head down and got on with the job without shouting about it, and lauding his 'profile' about, and networking at parties, so he wasn't very 'visible' within the company.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    OTOH I might ask why business does have so many superior officers. Are they really needed?
    No, but in the status obsessed culture we've created having a big job title is more important than doing any real work.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    OTOH I might ask why business does have so many superior officers. Are they really needed?
    Have you ever worked for the civil service?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X