• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Asus mobile

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Asus mobile"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Don't worry, you can uninstall that...
    Assuming that that's not tongue in cheek - you can only uninstall it by removing UnionFS, merging the two partitions, and then deleting the files.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's great for light use, very quick to start up and shut down (which is VERY good if you are flying, as you don't waste half the flight waiting for your laptop to start), comes with OpenOffice as standard too.
    Don't worry, you can uninstall that...

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    I was in London the other week and picked one up on Tottenham Court Road. It is really good, I dont find the small keyboard that bad to use either. I bought the 512mb/4gb model and so far I've only noticed memory issues when using remote desktop. Nothing bad to say about it at all at that price.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Got mine today and it's a great toy (err necessary business expense). Exactly what I've been looking for.

Plus, I've discovered that since I last tried connecting anything to my wifi, one of my neighbours has installed a wifi setup with no security on it and I get a really good signal. Always a bonus to know there's a bit of extra bandwidth available if you need it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Well remembered! - I have the 4G 701, black.
    Have customised the Xandros advanced desktop and soon looking to install a custom version of Ubuntu - in conversations with some very helpful Ubuntu developers lately, either that or the alpha eeedebian release. We'll see.
    Nice toy to play with and perfect for surfing on the train - the new vodafone 7.2 usb modem looks like the one to go for - I'm using the old usb dongle style one. Not ideal as your main laptop though as the small form factor can feel a little cramped after a few hours.
    Got mine from ebuyer, got one for the soon-to-be-father-in-law from purelygadgets. Ebuyer was quicker to deliver.
    Any tips, just ask. There's a thread over in technical just for the eee and tips/tricks... somewhere.
    Puppeee is meant to be a very good distro too.

I don't like the advanced desktop too much (even though I finally got round the ctrl-f4 close tab not working in firefox problem!) - I don't need it, so don't use it.

I use it as my laptop most of the time these days, since I'm away from home. Can't be bothered to haul the huge laptop down to London and back not to use any of the functionality, to be honest.

Most frustrating thing is that you can't change the screen resolution on it, though.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Hope you went for a 701 rather than the 700.

IIRC, realityhack has one as well, but I may be mistaken.
    Well remembered! - I have the 4G 701, black.
    Have customised the Xandros advanced desktop and soon looking to install a custom version of Ubuntu - in conversations with some very helpful Ubuntu developers lately, either that or the alpha eeedebian release. We'll see.
    Nice toy to play with and perfect for surfing on the train - the new vodafone 7.2 usb modem looks like the one to go for - I'm using the old usb dongle style one. Not ideal as your main laptop though as the small form factor can feel a little cramped after a few hours.
    Got mine from ebuyer, got one for the soon-to-be-father-in-law from purelygadgets. Ebuyer was quicker to deliver.
    Any tips, just ask. There's a thread over in technical just for the eee and tips/tricks... somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Options are…

2G or 4G.

For just internet surfing, assuming 2G more than ample??

For just £199 for 2G from Dabs, plus of course the VAT aspect for claiming against brolly, has to be worth a pop I reckon!
    2GB / 4GB is the "disk" space not the RAM. For surfing, you won't rack up much disk space at all.

If you aren't likely to mess the whole thing up, it's also worth getting rid of UnionFS (part of the file system) and converting the disk to ext3 - there's guides online to do this if you're interested.

Finally - if you do mess the whole machine up (as I have done!) and need to rebuild it to factory settings, you'll need an external DVD drive. It takes about 5 minutes to get it back to factory settings and working again - beat that, Windows!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Thanks - used them and cancelled Dabs. Cheers!
    Hope you went for a 701 rather than the 700.

IIRC, realityhack has one as well, but I may be mistaken.

I got mine here and went to Crucial to buy the extra memory for it, which was cheap. Not that it makes much difference - but it means that I can create a 1GB RAM disk and dump a movie on there to read from memory rather than USB and save a bit on battery life.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    These guys have them in stock. Both models and a couple of colours.
    Thanks - used them and cancelled Dabs. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    EEtsa shEEta!

Churchill - In "Franko" mode!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Hey AtW - I like that squirrel

It's a Russian squirrel - very cute: pity the greys don't have tufts, it would have given them extra street cred...

Leave a comment:

• shelby68
    replied
    I went for the 4GB one but it was sold out, I ended up with this instead:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews...0-laptop.phtml

'twas a bout a hundred quid more but its for 1GB RAM 30GB hard drive and XP and a stripped down version of office, PC world are flogging them for about £350

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    These guys have them in stock. Both models and a couple of colours.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    2G's available immediately.

I went for 4G from Dabs, but may take a few weeks to get delivered. All for £230 ish.

Lets see how long a few weeks is....

Toys R Us have sold out, cannot get them for love nor money, so they tell me.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Nice sig miffy. What a pair of cheerful b@stards we are.

I blame the doom and gloom atmosphere in here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X