• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New grads from top universities ..."

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    It's not just younger people, many so called (sounding like Chico here) educated people have little or no common sense and little general knowledge.

Whereas I could give the Eggheads a run for their money! (those on the bench might know what I'm talking about)

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ...are rubbish! Have two in my team now. Got to talking to them in t'pub yesterday and somehow the conversation came round to modern history. Turns out they'd never heard of Franco and the Spanish civil war. Or Tulipmania in Holland. Only a hazy idea of the Great depression - or even the recession of the 90s. I could go on. No wonder the idiots think debt is OK ....
    They are idiots - even I know Francko, he posted here the other day.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    might as well have been tulipe
    Oi! You can't say tulipe on here!
    Last edited by ferret; 2 April 2008, 12:58. Reason: The sin of quoting

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    ...are rubbish! Have two in my team now. Got to talking to them in t'pub yesterday and somehow the conversation came round to modern history. Turns out they'd never heard of Franco and the Spanish civil war. Or Tulipmania in Holland. Only a hazy idea of the Great depression - or even the recession of the 90s. I could go on. No wonder the idiots think debt is OK ....
    Went to the pub yesterday with my team leader and the other sucker that joined this dead-end company.Figured it would be a larf to see the old git loosen up a little and buy us a few rounds. Turns out he is a tight old fart (I mean he drives an Aygo ffs) who just drivelled on about some old war and actually shed a tear when regaling us with tales of his maths classes of yesteryear.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    And those of us onshore who can code, will be on a gazillion spondoolicks a minute.
    With the rampant inflation we're going to get soon, a loaf of bread will cost a gazillion spondoolicks.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    That's what they were saying 20 years ago, along with programmes that would write themselves from a specification, and how the tools would be so simple to use, the business people could do the work without the need for experts or even code monkeys.

What they forgot was IT is so dull, those with money will gladly keep paying us to do it for them.
    What they also forgot was how few people outside IT can even manage to switch a computer on or off in a competent manner let alone write a simple report or spreadsheet.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    There'll always be work for the best.
    Now I'm really in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Any new grad going into IT now must be really stupid. 20 years all coding will be done offshore.
    Less than 10...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    And those of us onshore who can code, will be on a gazillion spondoolicks a minute.
    When will onshoring start? Please let it be this year.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    That's what they were saying 20 years ago, along with programmes that would write themselves from a specification, and how the tools would be so simple to use, the business people could do the work without the need for experts or even code monkeys.

What they forgot was IT is so dull, those with money will gladly keep paying us to do it for them.
    exactly! but the new grads don't know this - so we make shedloads!

though personally I don't find development boring - it is just all the red tape and idiots that get me down.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    That's where it all falls down, of course...
    Doesn't matter, we'll all be "Change Managers", "Strategy Consultants" and "Thought Leaders" anyway. Boomed!

Leave a comment:

• smiff
    replied
    20 years all coding will be done offshore.
    Will be one use for those redundant oil platforms and rigs.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Any new grad going into IT now must be really stupid. 20 years all coding will be done offshore.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    There'll always be work for the best.
    That's where it all falls down, of course...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X