• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Angry Motorist Thread"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
    Condolences, in case they haven't been conveyed already.
    Thanks - it was 13 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I think you'll find, it's like a really really old fashioned English mannnerism that travelled from the north to the south of England like via the US.
    I guess.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Wouldn't the ideal be to have full lanes right up to the restriction and then have everyone merge in turn?
    Yes, but the problem then is 'professional drivers' i.e. lorries, have accidents with them, so it's a little psychological trick thing to have a 'slide in'

Leave a comment:

• Royston Vasey
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    Selfish stupid chavs who drive right up to the cones blocking off a lane and then slow traffic to a crawl having to be let in, when they could join the back of the next lane like everyone else so the traffic would move much faster.

Corollary: Slow-witted idiots in front of you who let said chavs in (accidently or otherwise) before even reaching the cones, so yet more idiots can zoom past them.
    Ever heard of "merge in turn". The queue would then be half the length.

Edit: Oops...Just seen someone's already said this.

Leave a comment:

• lexington_spurs
    replied
    The copper who gave evidence at the inquest into the death of my father-in-law who was killed in a collision with a lorry couldn't even get the make and model of the truck right (it was totally different so I assume just a guess later) so I doubt it.
    Condolences, in case they haven't been conveyed already.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It won't work as people are kinda shocked when they find restrictions or diversions in the place they are not use to even if they've had loads of advanced warning.

Where the A3 goes from 3 lanes into 2 outside the school holidays it normally works as commuters wait their turn, know they get home faster if they cooperate and don't switch lanes randomly. In the school holidays nobody gives way so the journey takes an extra half hour.
    Bah! That's the problem with ideals

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Wouldn't the ideal be to have full lanes right up to the restriction and then have everyone merge in turn?
    It won't work as people are kinda shocked when they find restrictions or diversions in the place they are not use to even if they've had loads of advanced warning.

Where the A3 goes from 3 lanes into 2 outside the school holidays it normally works as commuters wait their turn, know they get home faster if they cooperate and don't switch lanes randomly. In the school holidays nobody gives way so the journey takes an extra half hour.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I don't agree - What happens at the moment is that there is some point in the raod about half a mile from the point where the road is blocked off where everybody should merge - why? Why not move that point half a mile further on and merge closer to the blockage. I've seen lorries pulling out to block the 3rd lane nearly a mile from the obstruction which is stupid.
    Seems like I'm in a minority of one here. But I'm not saying everyone should merge at one point, wherever that may be. Also my argument assumes that half a mile, or wherever, from the cones the traffic is freely moving and reasonably spaced in each lane. Obviously there's nothing to be gained merging "early" once past where the traffic has already backed up.

But look at this way, a strategy that allows traffic to flow in the narrowed section at maximum speed and minimum separation has to be optimal, and I maintain that alternating cars at the cones (driver, chav, driver, chav, ..) is less likely to achieve that.

Personally I get in the slow lane when the motorway clogs as often that tends to flow better plus you can creatively use the slip roads.
    Yes, I "wear" at some roundabouts rather than "tack", if you follow my drift. Heading out of London onto the A12 at the Bow Roundabout is a good example - Sometimes there's a huge queue to turn left, but practically nothing going right, so it's much quicker to turn right and scoot straight round a whole revolution and straight onto the A12 sliproad ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Actually, they are helping traffic flow. The reason is a little complex for most to 'get', but essentially, for everyone to get through a narrowed section the traffic has to go slower, so these that wait until the last moment actually aid the traffic to slow down.

If they joined in earlier then the traffic would tail back further and there'd be more discontinuous flow.

If TPTB actually wanted them to join in further back they'd just block the lane earlier.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    No, no, no!

The ideal situation, to optimize average speed for all, is where everyone manages to get in the right lane early enough for there to be ample room between cars to change lanes (and I'd concede that isn't always possible, with slip roads joining the queue near the cones for example).

But it'll never happen while short-cutting gits *think* they can gain an advantage but in fact slow things down for everyone, including themselves!
    I don't agree - What happens at the moment is that there is some point in the raod about half a mile from the point where the road is blocked off where everybody should merge - why? Why not move that point half a mile further on and merge closer to the blockage. I've seen lorries pulling out to block the 3rd lane nearly a mile from the obstruction which is stupid.

Personally I get in the slow lane when the motorway clogs as often that tends to flow better plus you can creatively use the slip roads.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    No, no, no!

The ideal situation, to optimize average speed for all, is where everyone manages to get in the right lane early enough for there to be ample room between cars to change lanes (and I'd concede that isn't always possible, with slip roads joining the queue near the cones for example).

But it'll never happen while short-cutting gits *think* they can gain an advantage but in fact slow things down for everyone, including themselves!
    Actually, they are helping traffic flow. The reason is a little complex for most to 'get', but essentially, for everyone to get through a narrowed section the traffic has to go slower, so these that wait until the last moment actually aid the traffic to slow down.

If they joined in earlier then the traffic would tail back further and there'd be more discontinuous flow.

If TPTB actually wanted them to join in further back they'd just block the lane earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I can't understand why that goes on. On the motorway, when they close a lane people start getting out of the lane to be closed about half a mile away from the point of closure - this wastes tons of space. Why doesn't everybody just drive to the closure point and merge there. That way the people who do this currently would not gain any advantage.
    No, no, no!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I can't understand why that goes on. On the motorway, when they close a lane people start getting out of the lane to be closed about half a mile away from the point of closure - this wastes tons of space. Why doesn't everybody just drive to the closure point and merge there. That way the people who do this currently would not gain any advantage.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Selfish stupid chavs who drive right up to the cones blocking off a lane and then slow traffic to a crawl having to be let in, when they could join the back of the next lane like everyone else so the traffic would move much faster.

Corollary: Slow-witted idiots in front of you who let said chavs in (accidently or otherwise) before even reaching the cones, so yet more idiots can zoom past them.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    That git what did for fleetwood.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X