• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: bbc news website

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "bbc news website"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Absolutely agree. Why do they spend all that money on the website when CEEFAX was perfectly adequate.
    They have probably re-invested the money saved on Natasha Kaplinsky's make up, now that she has moved to five, into re-designing the website.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I like it, but then again I'm a great believer in copious whitespace improving readability, and that's basically all they've done.

I would imagine that they've figured that as the majority of their readers have more than 800x600 or even 1024x768 monitors these days, they can add in the extra whitespace and make it easier on the eye. The judicious use of whitespace for this purpose is something that was well known to printers right back to the days of letterpress printing, but got rather lost when we had to make stuff fit on to comparatively cramped screens.

FWIW the folks at the Beeb News online team study these things very closely before making a change, or at least used to the last time I was there - a long time ago now, yet the current design isn't tremendously different from what was implemented with the move to using CSS in late 1999.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Who cares! it's just a political platform of lies and misinformation anyway

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I hate the new BBC site. I much preferred the old one, and had come to enjoy its familiar layout and style. Now its all changed, and it will never be the same again. /cry

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I much prefered the old, compact one to this.

Not impressed - waste of taxpayers money!
    Absolutely agree. Why do they spend all that money on the website when CEEFAX was perfectly adequate.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I much prefered the old, compact one to this.

Not impressed - waste of taxpayers money!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    As far as I can see the layout is the same as the old one, but with bigger fonts - the three columns have the same content as before which is nice. I prefer the thinner bbc header though (the grey one).

If you look at the root page it's gone all igoogle/web2.0 which is quite cool.
    Mostly correct - they have changed it a little - but used fonts with wider punch-widths and leading.
    Loads of wasted space on the root page... seen that a while ago - plenty of room for improvement.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I still think the Beeb suffers from info blindness on the main page - trying to impart way too much info on the first page - they need to take a close look at their IA, do some user scenario testing, content analysis and 'funnel' people properly into the relevant content.

Having a LH menu split between regions and subjects clouds it a little, the whole thing needs reshuffling - I don't think they've cracked it yet - too many competing CTAs on the one page, not enough distinction between them.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    DUH! What a dizzy cow I am. There's me saying "Wonder what RealityHack makes of it", when his post was the one right before mine!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    As far as I can see the layout is the same as the old one, but with bigger fonts - the three columns have the same content as before which is nice. I prefer the thinner bbc header though (the grey one).

If you look at the root page it's gone all igoogle/web2.0 which is quite cool.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Don't know about that - the layout is simpler and the fonts have been dramatically improved. I think it's a lot more readable now. They don't need the double masthead though - they could incorporate the search in the red one and lose the black one.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by HYpno27 View Post
    That new layout is tulipe
    Yes, hard to put one's finger on. But the old layout/style looked compact and professional, whereas the new one has a dumbed-down "My Little Pony" baby look.

Wonder what RealityHack makes of it, as I gather that's his speciality. Maybe it _is_ more ergonomic etc, but all the same. Ugh!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    The BBC have changed the lay out of the news website

combined with only 3 hours insomniacle sleep last night, i thought i'd entered a parallel dimension

Thanks for the warning BBC!
    Are you me?

Had hardly any sleep last night, went onto the Beeb's site this morning, found the same - also that their News24 streaming service was down.

It's all a bit surreal today - with a hell of a lot of work to do. Perhaps I can procrastinate until midday before I start to panic.

Leave a comment:

• HYpno27
    replied
    That new layout is tulipe

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I liked the old one. It would have been a better change if they put online BBC1/2/3 rather than just BBC24.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X