• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pound weaker against Euro?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Darn it, I could have waited a few more days before ordering those parts from England.
    Not body parts I hope old chap...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The pound has dropped further, another 0.5%.
    Darn it, I could have waited a few more days before ordering those parts from England.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The pound has dropped further, another 0.5%.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret
    There is a rude word filter on the site now that changes some swear words. It is quite amusing in some ways, annoying in others.
    Some linguists reckon the need to replace taboo words, obviously an old phenomenon, has been a major driver of language evolution in the past.

And it's not just naughty words - In african tribes like the Zulus, when the chief or one of his wives died everyone was forbidden on pain of death from uttering their names or even any word that sounded vaguely like them. That must have led to a lot of inventive alternatives, some of which must have stuck long after the reason for using them had been forgotten.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by oxtailsoup View Post
    I don't really understand what the market is waiting for to make the pound stronger again.. such as interest rate cut etc?
    An interest rate cut will make the pound weaker i.e. the demand for £1s to invest will decrease as money moves abroad and into another currency.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I had 170EUR in cash left over from a year ago, which I spent in Germany last Easter weekend. Boomed!

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    No, you've all got it wrong. It's a stealthy way by an axis of local tourism, climatists and green groups, this govt and some other miserable gits to price us out of foreign holidays. For you lot, it will be Blackpool instead of Benidorm this summer

Leave a comment:

• oxtailsoup
    replied
    hifx offered 1.25
    Currencies direct have offered 1.262 which I'm going to go for. Get this over and done with.

Just wish I had bought at 1.45 last year!!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    The language on this board was appalling and the site admins suggested that it made contractors look like a bunch of chavs. There is a rude word filter on the site now that changes some swear words. It is quite amusing in some ways, annoying in others. As one poster said a few months ago, his partner could not understand why he was laughing so much as they drove past the Golden Tulip Hotel. You even start typing tulip and noddy etc after a while as well...
    I type gobtulipe all the time

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Don't procastinate too long another 0.6% drop today, now racing to 0.8 against the EUR.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    The value of the pound has plunged against the euro since January and now sits at around 1.26/1.27 down from 1.50 a year ago.

Great if you are paid in Euros of course.

Can anyone explain why the pound has been getting weaker and weaker recently? I need to purchase some euros (about 50k) and I don't know whether the pound will get stronger in the short term or not... it keeps going downwards!.

I don't really understand what the market is waiting for to make the pound stronger again.. such as interest rate cut etc?

Buy now or wait a few weeks?

Try Hargreaves Lansdowne for large currency transactions. They can get you preferential rates of exchange which according to their advertisement can save you a fortune on transactions of over 10K.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Thanks Tz.

So lower interest rates will probably mean a weaker pound? tulip I thought it was the other way around. Not a lot of point waiting for higher interest rates is there?
    Lower interest rates = less attractive to put your money there = less demand for currency = rate drops.

Answer: join euro (and sell oil in euros not greenbacks).

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Why has the word s h 1 t turned into tulip?
    I thought only the Dutch could turn siht into tulips?

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Because you don't know how to avoid the net nanny.

Try sh!t.

tim

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    The language on this board was appalling and the site admins suggested that it made contractors look like a bunch of chavs. There is a rude word filter on the site now that changes some swear words. It is quite amusing in some ways, annoying in others. As one poster said a few months ago, his partner could not understand why he was laughing so much as they drove past the Golden Tulip Hotel. You even start typing tulip and noddy etc after a while as well...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X