• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If these LED traffic lights..."

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The resemblance is quite striking really...

I've got that PE analogue computer mag somewhere.

I wonder if I can find it.

It would be terribly interesting to build it today & see if it worked.

I had to do analogue computer programming for a degree level module once... tricky stuff.
    If you fancy wandering to Doncaster there are possibly several hundred back copies of PE, PW, ETI, Elektor, etc. old Maplin and RS catalogues etc., all going mouldy in a cellar if you want them. Strong back and a large van required if you want them.

Hmm, best let me check on just how mouldy they are as I haven't been down the cellar of that house for several years.

Hmm, wonder if that's where I've left the other VOX AC120.

Hmm.

threaded in "I wonder if that's where I've left all that stuff I can't find" mode

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    The resemblance is quite striking really...

I've got that PE analogue computer mag somewhere.

I wonder if I can find it.

I had to do analogue computer programming for a degree level module once... tricky stuff.
    I worked on some multi-DSP nonsense once that was meant to be a replacement for an analog computer in some aeroplane simulator, but apparently the aeroplane it went in was real and simulated other aeroplanes or something. Never did quite work out what was going off and the processors then just were not fast enough. Good idea, just too far ahead at the time.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Didn't then, won't now.

(not with 741s anyway - maybe the newer CMOS Op Amps would hold up)
    Last edited by bogeyman; 26 March 2008, 16:38. Reason: The 741 caveat

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Yeah.

Now yer talking.

"Ace of Spades" by Mozart.

It'd blow yer socks orff.
    I sometimes wonder if Lemmy is indeed the reincarnation of our beloved Wolfgang.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    They are reliable because they have sections - partial failure, not complete.

It's like RAIDs - drives still fail, but data is saved.
    Only in certain modes, in other modes they are even more unreliable.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

The automaton continues relentlessly on its course.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    are so wonderfully reliable and stuff, why have so many of them got failed sections in them?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    well, there are lots of ways of spelling it, or, for correctness, use the original cyrillic. Чебышёв
    Correct as ever Threaded!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Though it's easy to criticise the magazines for putting out stuff that is basically unrepeatable...

My design of a security camera switcher proved to have been designed in such a way that it worked with the CCTV cameras I had, & when one died, the replacement wouldn't work until I'd frigged about with the circuit a bit.

So far as I know, no one has built another system.

Just as well really.
    Perhaps if you ditch the Giant Alien Lizard Spotter circuit, then it could be more commercial. After-all it's only a few caps and res and a 'dual' 556.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Ahem....... I had a sampler that plugged into the back of my Sepctrum. Really.

Only thing I ever made that worked was a 100w MOSFET power amp.
    Well there's a lot to be said for loud.

My music teacher said that if Mozart had had a 1KW PA, he would probably have tried to stun his audience rather than trying to impress then with the delicacy and whimsy of his compositions.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Those were the days, magazines stuffed to the brim with stuff you could never get working.

PE in particular...

And the Practical Wireless "Telewriter"...
    Oh! Tell me about it (I think I tried wirewrapping the thing)

I did successfully build the PE UK101 kit computer though.

Despite the fact that most of the chips in the kit were mfr's rejects and needed to be replaced.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    He he! So did I.

I was always building synths in my teens, and was in a rubbish band of hopeless teens that sounded like Kraftwerk on diazopan.

The Formant looked the dog's but sounded like rubbish mostly, but occasionally you'd get a brilliant, other-worldly noise out of it.

Sadly we didn't have samplers then!
    Ahem....... I had a sampler that plugged into the back of my Spectrum. Really.

Only thing I ever made that worked was a 100w MOSFET power amp.
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 26 March 2008, 16:15. Reason: spelling again

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    p.s. that would be a 'Chebyshev Filter' then?
    well, there are lots of ways of spelling it, or, for correctness, use the original cyrillic. Чебышёв

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    I had a go at that Formant Synthesizer, that was fun.
    He he! So did I.

I was always building synths in my teens, and was in a rubbish band of hopeless teens that sounded like Kraftwerk on diazopan.

The Formant looked the dog's but sounded like rubbish mostly, but occasionally you'd get a brilliant, other-worldly noise out of it.

Sadly we didn't have samplers then!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I had a go at that Formant Synthesizer, that was fun.
    Oops, that was Elektor. Did that 9 channel digi-proportional radio control from PE.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X