• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone bought a Motorcycle through their Ltd?"

Collapse

• BigTime
    replied
    I foolishly used to think it was worth doing my own self-assessment and ended up paying more than necessary. My BIK was 20% of bikes value plus related expenses. I used my bike 99% for commuting. Let your accountant work it out for you and you'll undoubtedly be better off.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    you will have to charge VAT when you sell it.
    But you make a profit on that if on flat rate

Do you pay BIK on clothing?

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    I put all my bike expenses through my ltd (including clothing) and my accountant was happy with this. You can reclaim the VAT on purchase of a new bike but you will have to charge VAT when you sell it.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    With the technology involved you should be able to claim the Harley as an agricultural vehicle. .

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Exactly. I'm looking at getting a bike & a pickup (van) and just doing 10k miles in my own car

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Nonsense, VAT on a bike is 100% allowable (it goes down as "plant & machinery")
    Well according to the accountant vat on new cars is a no-no. Vans it is allowed. Bikes are not really vans are they.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    VAT is 100% allowable
    BIK is 20% on the actual purchase price paid (inc VAT)
    Servicing, tax, tyres etc are all added in for that year and are included in the 20% calculation
    You should pay the petrol yourself and for any business mileage, the company should pay you a mileage rate commensurate with the actual cost and mpg performance of the bike.
    HMRC also told me that the 20% BIK should be calculated on a pro rata basis based on business to personal mileage

Leave a comment:

• roadster198
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Of course I use the Harley as an excavtor MR HMRC inspector honest

How would I get away with Plant & machinery being an IT Contractor. What about as a promotional vehicle???
    Last edited by roadster198; 17 March 2008, 11:19.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    You can't reclaim vat on new cars so I assume that you cannot on bikes.

I assume that the BIK would be treated the same as a car with a different formula.

What does the HMRC site say?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
    A Harley Roadking and a VFR 800..... the new one I want is a Ducati 848.

I suppose I could start one of those clubs where you can purchase points to ride/drive cars rather than purchase them
    Probably not as daft as it sounds you know.

Leave a comment:

• roadster198
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    What are they?

If you get another one then why not start a rental service?
    A Harley Roadking and a VFR 800..... the new one I want is a Ducati 848.

I suppose I could start one of those clubs where you can purchase points to ride/drive cars rather than purchase them

Leave a comment:

• roadster198
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Only if you can persuade them that it's a van....

PS That's not taking advantage, that's taking the p*ss...

HTH
    you better not be dissing my new wee Fiat pal!!?!?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    This will be will an addition to my other two.... Believe you me I Know I'm a contractor thats why I already have two

What are they?

If you get another one then why not start a rental service?

Leave a comment:

• roadster198
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    You're a contractor. Just go and buy one and stop fannying around...

This will be will an addition to my other two.... Believe you me I Know I'm a contractor thats why I already have two

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    As title. I was thinking of purchasing a new bike and putting it through the business. Anyone done this?

My accountant has put me off putting a car through as he said it would cost a fair bit..... What!? a 1.2 Fiat 500??? surely not. I've just registered for VAT and want to take advantage of it if I can.
    Only if you can persuade them that it's a van....

PS That's not taking advantage, that's taking the p*ss...

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X