• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do I really need to give this info??"

Collapse

• badger7579
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I did with the passport - just blocked out anything that might be relevant / useful. If they want to come to work and see a copy of it, then the can, but they're not getting a copy via email.

Alternatively, send them a fax that is such bad quality that they won't be able to read it anyway.

That's another approach I adopt - just send me an email with what you need from me, and I'll get back to you. Then never do - seems to work for them regarding responding to applications...
    Exactly the sort of responses I've had ove the last few weeks "Yes you seem to be a good candidate I'll get back to you.... Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"

Just going to concentrate on getting the gig now... Fingers crossed..

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Is it ok to black out the sensitive stuff, such as items on a bank statement or photo on a passport then?
    I did with the passport - just blocked out anything that might be relevant / useful. If they want to come to work and see a copy of it, then the can, but they're not getting a copy via email.

Alternatively, send them a fax that is such bad quality that they won't be able to read it anyway.

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    That’s probably the best approach I'll either not give them certain things or say I will and then let them chase me if they want them.

The main thing that concerns me is the ID and the bank details.
    That's another approach I adopt - just send me an email with what you need from me, and I'll get back to you. Then never do - seems to work for them regarding responding to applications...

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Photoshop can do you a bit better than that
    Ahh, I see. Change some of the details so they're totally invalid in the wrong hands. The agents can't check most of the stuff anyway.

Just remember not to change the bank account details if you're hoping to get bacs payments!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Is it ok to black out the sensitive stuff, such as items on a bank statement or photo on a passport then?
    Photoshop can do you a bit better than that

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    That’s probably the best approach I'll either not give them certain things or say I will and then let them chase me if they want them.

The main thing that concerns me is the ID and the bank details.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I think Parity and Ajilon asked me for NI number and next of kin details. I just didn't give them to them, and they didn't say anything.

If you are opted in then most will ask for a copy of the passport to check that you are who you say you are. This isn't a valid check, though, the agent should ask to see the passport in person. I've sent mine before, but edited the picture to remove the important information - again, it's never been checked.

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Mmmm not impressed with the feedback generally about Elan but I guess I'll have to see for myself if I get the gig.

Reading people comments I'm thinking I can supply

Copy of the Limited Company insurance certificates
    Copy of the Company Certificate of Incorporation
    Copy of the Company VAT certification
    Basic Disclosure certificate

But I'm not happy with supplying the following

Copy of Passport
    Copy of your bank statement (Do people think a paying slip is ok??)
    Next of kin details (Have no idea why they want this???)
    NI number (Again why??)

I will be asking the agent these questions but wanted some opinions from you guys as ammo..

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    They all ask for some variation of that list now.

And some of them lose it all too, as one agency did for me last year.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    The worrying thing is that according to some posters here http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...tatements.html, your bank may hold you responsible on any fraud on your account if you give people copies of your bank statement and passport as they see doing this as negligence..........

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Got an interview at last and had the pimp ask me for the following info should I get the gig.

Just a bit suspicious as it seems a lot of info..

Copy of the Company Certificate of Incorporation
    Copy of Passport
    Copy of the Company VAT certification
    Copy of your bank statement to verify the bank details i.e. your company name, address and company bank details
    Copy of a utility bill of worker
    Next of kin details
    National Insurance Number

Can anyone tell me this is info I should be supplying??
    General comment about doing business: my partner works for a firm of electrical contractors, turnover about 4m, often several subcontractors. In that area, it is very common to demand LOTS of this kind of info from companies, both upper and lower in the chain. In fact her employers are actually holding on to all of their electricians' passports, until they ask for them back. The Co routinely provide extensive VAT & bank details to upper contractors; if they didn't do so, they wouldn't get the contracts. Simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Might be how did you guess
    Another recent thread talks about Elan asking for bank statements etc.

The only details I would give are: Certificate of Incorporation, VAT Certificate, and Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance certificate.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    or Hays

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Might be how did you guess

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Is it Elan?