• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dental Bridge or implants?"

Collapse

• jamess
    replied
    i heard sedation can be bad for skinny and very sensitive people.

Leave a comment:

• silves89
    replied
    I don't think there are many disadvantages to implants, they're basically the closest one can get to real teeth. At least that's what a dentist I know said to me recently.

I was sedated while I had my wisdom teeth extracted. I did not believe the sedation would aleviate the stress of the procedure. It does, more than you can imagine. It has an amnesiac affect and you don't really remember much. What I do remember is cracking and a needle going into my mouth, but I remember them being amusing, not unpleasant in the least. Seriously, it's actually almost fun with sedation.

Leave a comment:

• jamess
    replied
    I had my root canals done in the UK but for dental implants my choice was dental-care-abroad.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Sounds like you have simpler maryland bridge where they attach it to the backs of the surrounding teeth rather than the more drastic approach of changing the surrounding teeth to crowns that the bridge is then integrated with.

Downside for me with a maryland is they say I'd need to utilise two teeth either side, and at the moment they're in pretty good condition.

Overall implants sound the better and less destructive option if I can live with any cosmetic downsides of having two side by side.
    That's the one. The dentist did say it was less invasive than the other options. I did years with constantly falling out false teeth on pins and a plate for a good while once they wouldn't work anymore so what I've got now is good.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    You're a Mongol horseman, who can slip upside down at the gallop and take a quick slurp from one of his mare's teats before whipping back round upright in the saddle, and occasionally before noticing the mare is fast approaching large rock or tree stump ..

and I claim my 5 of whatever currency they use on the steppes.
    No fell off a table in Greece !

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    .. drinking injuries for me. ..
    You're a Mongol horseman, who can slip upside down at the gallop and take a quick slurp from one of his mare's teats before whipping back round upright in the saddle, and occasionally before noticing the mare is fast approaching large rock or tree stump ..

and I claim my 5 of whatever currency they use on the steppes.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Whilst you're there you may as well go for veneers on all of your teeth.

What? You've not got £30k to spend?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I've got a bridge that looks and feels fine and has needed one lot of minor maintenance in 7 or 8 years. The teeth either side weren't exactly A1 when I had it fitted but they don't seem to have suffered and the work on them seemed quite minor if I remember correctly. Implants sounds a bit of a palava and a potential bottomless pit if it doesn't go according to plan. Mixture of rugby and drinking injuries for me.

Sounds like you have simpler maryland bridge where they attach it to the backs of the surrounding teeth rather than the more drastic approach of changing the surrounding teeth to crowns that the bridge is then integrated with.

Downside for me with a maryland is they say I'd need to utilise two teeth either side, and at the moment they're in pretty good condition.

Overall implants sound the better and less destructive option if I can live with any cosmetic downsides of having two side by side.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I'm getting fed up with this but it'll teach my son to look after his teeth.

My parents probably thought the same, seeing as they've both been toothless wonders with full dentures since before I was born. Didn't stop me taking a lax attitude to brushing and flossing when I was young, so I've got plenty of fillings as well as the front teeth trauma.

Maybe I should blame them for not forcing me to stick to a proper regime!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I would go for the implants. a key problem is Paradontosis, if there are gaps in the bridge the infection can get in and destroy the neighbouring teeth, so they need good maintenance. Once the implants have got "welded" to the bone, then they should just be like normal teeth.

I would read a bit further on the disadvantage of implants.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I've been going to the dentist every Friday since the start of the year. So far I've had 2 root canals done (that stuff that they put in tastes like tulip so I have to drink a load of beer over the weekend to get rid of it. Even my dentist pointed out that she had probably ruined my weekends with that stuff ) Just finished the second one this morning and then next week they need to build it up so that they can put a crown on it. Then we start on the front for another crown as I've been walking around for the past 18 months with a broken tooth which although makes me look a bit 'piratey' doesn't look to cool it front of customers and clients. Once thats done then a bridge at the back where the wisdom teeth are. I'm getting fed up with this but it'll teach my son to look after his teeth.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I've got a bridge that looks and feels fine and has needed one lot of minor maintenance in 7 or 8 years. The teeth either side weren't exactly A1 when I had it fitted but they don't seem to have suffered and the work on them seemed quite minor if I remember correctly. Implants sounds a bit of a palava and a potential bottomless pit if it doesn't go according to plan. Mixture of rugby and drinking injuries for me.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    http://dentistabroad.co.uk/cheap-den...st-abroad.html

It's considerably cheaper abroad, even with a few days off, seeing a foreign city and sightseeing.

These folks started the trend several years back and seem to know their stuff http://www.kreativdental.co.uk/

I have done a bit of reading on that option but the occasional horror story is what puts me off. I can't see a dentist over here being too sympathetic and not trying to extract large remedial fees if something goes wrong weeks or months after the implants have been placed.

For the sake of a grand or so difference I'd rather have someone closer at hand be in charge incase of complications.

After being reassured that the procedure might not be as bad as I think, due to me being drugged up to the eyeballs, it's just the cosmetic angle that I'm worried about now. I don't see why they can't do a two-tooth joint implant so the gumline can be faked like they would do with a bridge, to make it look more natural. Something I'll look into further via the net before my next appointment.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and after pulling the tooth (a back one) the dentist immediately filled the hole with a large dollop of goo that tastes like I've been chewing bandages all day. I can still taste the nauseating stuff now, two weeks later.
    Yeah they packed some of that crap in my holes to kill off the infection. At least that seems to have worked, which is why I'm a bit suspicious how the infection is still on the two surrounding teeth if it's linked. The dentist is obviously claiming it's not linked but what are the chances of that?

All this diagnosis is off a small x-ray that to me looks like the usual light grey and dark grey stuff.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    BTW you may not have the option of implants if the infection has affected the bone, as even mild abscesses sometimes do. (Added in edit: I see now that several people, including yourself, have made that point or alluded to it. But I guess no harm is done mentioning it a seventh time.)
    Yep that's perhaps why he's being cautious and advising root canal treatment to definately clear up any surrounding infections as implents are more prone to failure and other complications if the area isn't healthy.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    http://dentistabroad.co.uk/cheap-den...st-abroad.html

It's considerably cheaper abroad, even with a few days off, seeing a foreign city and sightseeing.

These folks started the trend several years back and seem to know their stuff http://www.kreativdental.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X