• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh dear (tm), Jihad about to be declared on Turkey!"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    You don't think it was the Age of Enlightenment during which the influence of the church started to wane that allowed scientific advancement to take place?

I mean, 1800 years of Christianity = no progress

200 years of Enlightenment = man on the moon among other notable advances
    Oh dear, another one that falls for the protestant proaganda. The dark ages arte only 'dark' because the advances are something protestant education systems don't talk much about. There were in fact many advances, eventually culminating in the reformation...

threaded in "whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." mode

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Bod View Post
    We're gonna need the insightful NickyG to elaborate on that one.

BTW, NickyG is David Icke and I claim my £5
    barking

Leave a comment:

• Bod
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    It's well known that God & Jesus were aliens anyway
    I didn't know they were lizard monsters though
    We're gonna need the insightful NickyG to elaborate on that one.

BTW, NickyG is David Icke and I claim my £5

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Actually it was us...
    No.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Actually it was us...
    It's well known that God & Jesus were aliens anyway
    I didn't know they were lizard monsters though

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    OMG, this is in danger of being a balanced, reasoned debate. Quick, someone have a poll!

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    OMG, this is in danger of being a balanced, reasoned debate. Quick, someone have a poll!

Leave a comment:

• Bod
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    My point is this - our society, like it or not, is underpinned by Christian values
    Agree with everything you said RH, and I have no problem with Christian values, only Christian beliefs, or indeed any religious beliefs.

Religious people are inherently irrational and I'm always wary of irrational people.

Leave a comment:

• Bod
    replied
    Or the Prophet Zarquon...
    peace be upon it

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Bod View Post
    a mate of mine has a t-shirt with the logo (large letters, white on black) "Christiany is Stupid."
    And I'm sure those offended would voice it, perhaps even get into an argument, or perhaps a debate.
    Replace 'Christianity' with 'Islam' on that T-Shirt and see the 'debates' your mate will get into wearing that.
    Now, your mate is wearing that T-Shirt in ostensibly a Christian country. See if he's brave enough to wear the second T-Shirt in an Islamic country. See how far he gets with that one.

My point is this - our society, like it or not, is underpinned by Christian values - many of our laws are built around those principles, whether you're religious or not. And the carrying through of the Hellenistic rationale - excellent point Threaded - has propelled our societies through Philosophy, Enquiry, debate, and later Science, while providing a robust framework allowing for the Enlightenment (post Rome), for the separation of church and state and mutual respect (or at the least, tolerance) of differing viewpoints.

This is the reformation Islam needs to undergo - it may be messy, but it looks like the latest front lines are in Turkey - best of luck to them.
    Last edited by realityhack; 27 February 2008, 15:24. Reason: added the enlightenment bit

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    The combination of Hellenistic rationality with Hebrew faith "Give unto Caeser" etc. which led to the promotion of the sciences and arts giving us in the west the scientific method as opposed to the rhetoric of other traditions.
    You don't think it was the Age of Enlightenment during which the influence of the church started to wane that allowed scientific advancement to take place?

I mean, 1800 years of Christianity = no progress

200 years of Enlightenment = man on the moon among other notable advances

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    kneel at the altar of the FSM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    If by roughly you mean 700 years younger then, yes, roughly it is...
    But Muslims regard the (reported) word of Abraham as the foundation of their faith - by which measure it's the same age as the others, surely?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If by roughly you mean 700 years younger then, yes, roughly it is...
    Wheh Christianity was as young as that it engaged into Crusades.

It does not matter anyway - religion has no place in the 21st century, frankly if it's illegal to sell smokes to under 16, then it should be illegal to teach religion to anyone who reaches the age when that person can make decision whether to believe in it or not. Before that this person should be well educated and only then take a bite at this religion thing.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    judaism dates back about 4000 years, christianity about 2000 years, islam about 1400 years

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X