• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "National DNA Database Compulsary?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Runster View Post
    It is. I worked two contracts at the Forensic Science Service on it when they hosted it. Govt got rid of FSS, think it went to the Home Office afterward.
    It went extinct as police forces started using outside companies.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    There's always a first time.
    Have you ever been a Volvo owner perchance?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Good!

If my DNA was a familial match to a serial killer I would be morally obliged to help, wouldn't you?
    Depends if it was your dad and he was a cereal killer.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The police in England and Wales have already done that.

There was a man's sister(?) on the database and they got him by using her DNA.
    Good!

If my DNA was a familial match to a serial killer I would be morally obliged to help, wouldn't you?

Leave a comment:

• Runster
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    But the database is already up and running -so it would presumably be a matter of scaling up (more tin?) but I'm sure EDS or similar would be involved to completely redesign, upscale, cross link and completely ar*e up what is currently there, in return for billions
    It is. I worked two contracts at the Forensic Science Service on it when they hosted it. Govt got rid of FSS, think it went to the Home Office afterward.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    so a historical brutal rapist & murderer is caught by DNA but the false positive of a relative they came across first because the database wasn't properly organised or regulated had to provide a DNA sample. So long as the sample was taken politely and they didn't take the BBC's helicopter I have no issue with it.

It is no different to police investigating a pie theft talking to a witness and them saying " I saw this really fat bloke trying to run away smeared with pastry shouting 'I should be in the first class lounge'" and them interviewing any suspects that came to mind .

I'm all for Police using DNA if it is properly managed. We use fingerprints, why not DNA?
    The police in England and Wales have already done that.

There was a man's sister(?) on the database and they got him by using her DNA.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Worrying turn, now they're searching ancestor sites and using that data.

Serial killer search led to wrong man in 2017 | Daily Mail Online

MF was right.
    so a historical brutal rapist & murderer is caught by DNA but the false positive of a relative they came across first because the database wasn't properly organised or regulated had to provide a DNA sample. So long as the sample was taken politely and they didn't take the BBC's helicopter I have no issue with it.

It is no different to police investigating a pie theft talking to a witness and them saying " I saw this really fat bloke trying to run away smeared with pastry shouting 'I should be in the first class lounge'" and them interviewing any suspects that came to mind .

I'm all for Police using DNA if it is properly managed. We use fingerprints, why not DNA?
    Last edited by vetran; 28 April 2018, 11:11. Reason: extra info

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    In the form of "a stopped clock is right twice a day" you mean/

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

MF was right.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Does the Panel think that the national database is an infringement of Human Rights?

BBC NEWS | UK | Mandatory DNA database rejected

MF was right.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I was already in IT at the time, and we discussed this at work. We knew what data they were collecting, as we were in plenty of checks ourselves. We even had a (possibly beer fuelled) discussion about offering our services to write the software to get the data at least indexed (we didn't have a proper database system at the time). That still wouldn't have helped if just looking for a match on car numbers of course.

I'm pretty sure the fact that he'd had 6 different cars was reported in the press as a reason that had hindered the investigation. Simple human error - an assumption that the Ripper wouldn't have had so many cars.

A simple database query on name and address instead of car number. Of course that's with the benefit of hindsight.
    This is interesting, but doesn't really answer the question about what it is about having the data in a database that would have allowed for earlier capture or longer detention of the ripper.

To be clear, I don't disagree that a database would have enabled much faster searches and comparisons - but I'm not convinced (either way) that it would have been a significant factor without the appropriate thinking from the users :-)

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Do you have any detailed knowledge of how they conducted this investigation or are you just supposing they were hampered by lack of a database rather than other factors?
    I was already in IT at the time, and we discussed this at work. We knew what data they were collecting, as we were in plenty of checks ourselves. We even had a (possibly beer fuelled) discussion about offering our services to write the software to get the data at least indexed (we didn't have a proper database system at the time). That still wouldn't have helped if just looking for a match on car numbers of course.

I'm pretty sure the fact that he'd had 6 different cars was reported in the press as a reason that had hindered the investigation. Simple human error - an assumption that the Ripper wouldn't have had so many cars.

How exactly do you think a database would have delivered evidence allowing them to hold the ripper for longer?
    A simple database query on name and address instead of car number. Of course that's with the benefit of hindsight.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Mmmmm. What are you hiding Jack?????!!!!!!!
    Nowt. Just added the last sentence.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Good idea - should be enforced by all chat boards to prevent multiple IDs as well

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Surely if New Labour had a DNA database of everyone in the UK, and CCTV cameras on every street and electronic tagging with GPS of every citizen and every home were bugged and spy satellites tracked every living being, and every telephone conversation were recorded, we'd live in a crime free utopia?

Can't wait.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X