• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear (naughty BTL'ers)"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Pah. Taxes are for the little people.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    That article links to a PDF pro-forma letter from the revenue (although it's not clear whether this is intended for managing agents or accountants).

It would be a classic wind-up to prepare a slightly amended version, quoting a huge amount deemed to be owed, and post it in a standard tax envelope to some BTLer you know.

(HMR&C are so chaotically disorganised these days there's practically no chance the ruse would be detected, and the worse that could happen is a couple of frantic phone calls by the BTLer to sort it out.)
    That is just evil

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    That article links to a PDF pro-forma letter from the revenue (although it's not clear whether this is intended for managing agents or accountants).

It would be a classic wind-up to prepare a slightly amended version, quoting a huge amount deemed to be owed, and post it in a standard tax envelope to some BTLer you know.

(HMR&C are so chaotically disorganised these days there's practically no chance the ruse would be detected, and the worse that could happen is a couple of frantic phone calls by the BTLer to sort it out.)

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    All I could say is Eeeek!!!!

Frantic call to accountant ensued

Phew! it is all covered under the DD and they in fact will owe me money once the maintenance costs are deducted

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Under the new disclosure rules, your solicitor is obliged to tell them if the house that you have just sold is not your PPR. HMRC don't have to do any checking up at all.

tim
    That should be interesting ! I just flogged a house and the solicitor didn't ask the question and would not of known either way.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Any sale will be registered with the land registry but nobody will be working out the profit made and if it is liable for CGT. You are meant to do that yourself and stick it on your self assessment. The IR would have to knock up a quick program to look for healthy profits made on sales in the last few years and check if the owners lived there and then look at their tax returns. I suspect that is beyond them.
    Under the new disclosure rules, your solicitor is obliged to tell them if the house that you have just sold is not your PPR. HMRC don't have to do any checking up at all.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    Great! Just in time for me to start renting. I see rents going up very soon.
    Or house prices going down when they are all repo'd to pay the tax.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Or at least it might pan out that way if our Judiciary were not being "advised" by the HMG to consider non-custodial sentences for all but the most heinous of crimes because the gaols are full to bursting. You know the sort of villain they want to incarcerate, those pensioners that refuse or simply cannot afford to pay their Council Tax. Crucifixion is too good for THEM.
    Well in their minds (oh God, let us not inhabit them for too long) the most heinous crime is denying the state the flabby tit from which it endlessly sucks - tax!

They can always find a cell for tax dodgers. It's the muggers and stabbers that seem to require lenient sentences.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    It's great to see the government trying to squeeze every single penny of tax they can from the most difficult and/or unlikely of sources.

Just goes to show what a farce they've made of public finances that they now have to go around begging for taxation. I hate incompetence, ineptitude and arrogance - all features of the current government.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I know HMRC is the Acme of incompetence, but the consequences of not declaring substantial amounts of rental income year upon year are severe indeed (ending in gaol, probably).
    Or at least it might pan out that way if our Judiciary were not being "advised" by the HMG to consider non-custodial sentences for all but the most heinous of crimes because the gaols are full to bursting. You know the sort of villain they want to incarcerate, those pensioners that refuse or simply cannot afford to pay their Council Tax. Crucifixion is too good for THEM.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Have you read the letter? It's obvious what HMRC are doing - they will just send out millions of these letters to targeted areas where individuals are likely to own BTL property.

Then they will sit back and pray that a reasonable % of these letters reap a "fair" amount of tax.

You really didn't think that any government department is clever enough to actually do this properly?
    NO. They did this with the overseas interest thing but hardly anybody owned up and I don't think they've got the resources to do anything about it.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Have you read the letter? It's obvious what HMRC are doing - they will just send out millions of these letters to targeted areas where individuals are likely to own BTL property.

Then they will sit back and pray that a reasonable % of these letters reap a "fair" amount of tax.

You really didn't think that any government department is clever enough to actually do this properly?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Never mind selling without paying CGT! How does one do that anyway? Do they not employ solicitors who are obliged (AFAIK) to inform the tax man?
    Any sale will be registered with the land registry but nobody will be working out the profit made and if it is liable for CGT. You are meant to do that yourself and stick it on your self assessment. The IR would have to knock up a quick program to look for healthy profits made on sales in the last few years and check if the owners lived there and then look at their tax returns. I suspect that is beyond them.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Great! Just in time for me to start renting. I see rents going up very soon.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    I can't believe many landlords are actually stupid enough to think they'd get away with it - especially the ones using managing agents.

I know HMRC is the Acme of incompetence, but the consequences of not declaring substantial amounts of rental income year upon year are severe indeed (ending in gaol, probably).

Never mind selling without paying CGT! How does one do that anyway? Do they not employ solicitors who are obliged (AFAIK) to inform the tax man?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X