• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting Virgin!"

Collapse

• happySkye
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post

Are you sure you are cut out for contracting? Nothing is definite, the work may come and it may not, you may be binned at any time if the client decides they don't have finds to pay you, etc...

If the worry of not having a secure job is stopping you from resigning you had best not resign at all. There is no such thing as a secure job in contracting.
    Thats the thing, not sure if I like the idea on contracting even with the high money, but I thought if they offered a 3 month contract, then they would have to honour the 3 months. It seems not now.

Has anyone been binned from a contract within the first few weeks?

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Too good to be true!

Best wind-up ever?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by happySkye View Post
    Is it normal to not have an interview with the end client ? I was supposed to have a telephone interview with <client>, but the agency phoned me last week and said it was cancelled and they wanted me to start ASAP.
    Happened to me before. the last gig I had I turned up for an interview and they wheeled me in front of a desk and said "you start now". No interview, no questions, nothing.

They wanted me to start in 2 weeks, but I have only just got my contract through, and now they want references! I don't want to hand in my notice with my current employer until this job is certain, but that won't leave me long enough on my notice period.
    Are you sure you are cut out for contracting? Nothing is definite, the work may come and it may not, you may be binned at any time if the client decides they don't have finds to pay you, etc...

If the worry of not having a secure job is stopping you from resigning you had best not resign at all. There is no such thing as a secure job in contracting.

One part of the contract with the Umbrella company states " The Employer reserves the right to lay you off without pay, if this is considered necessary" Is that normal?
    You will be a contractor, not a permie. There is a reason we get paid slightly more than a permie, our risk is much greater!!.

I am not exactly sure what the job entails as the job description is that vague, and worry that when I get down there, I will be on some sort of trial to see if I can really do the job.
    Again sounds fairly standard, you will find out exactly what they want when you get there. Don't worry about it too much, if they didn't think you were capable of doing it when they looked at your resume they wouldn't have offered you the gig. (I hope you haven't stretched the truth on your resume though......)

Leave a comment:

• Bod
    replied
    Roll up, Roll up, for some full-on dog eat dog action at CUK.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    happy - are you crazy?? you idiot ?? delete reference to your client !! too late not cuz others quoted it already
    Too late - I've bagged it! (You probably wouldn't have liked it there anyway happySkye )

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Gosh - I wonder who it could be.

Could they have XXXXXXX, perchance?
    Err.... I think you had better amend. I am assuming you are a decent person??

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

though I still think saying industry sector and town narrows it down too much? am I being too anal?

maybe town should be removed? I am not sure that the industry is needed for the post either?

poor happyskye
    Far too late for that. No doubt some smug git will highlight who it is.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Just been offered a contract with <client> (Telecoms) in Ipswich...
    Gosh - I wonder who it could be.

Could they have two initials, perchance?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

though I still think saying industry sector and town narrows it down too much? am I being too anal?

maybe town should be removed? I am not sure that the industry is needed for the post either?

poor happyskye

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    could you edit to remove then?
    Good point sir.

All sorted all round

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Hmm.... One guess where a shed load of agents and contractors looking for XXXX work in XXXXXX are going to be looking, possible at the expense of the guy who posted this.....

Makes me feel not so daft after all
    could you edit to remove then?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    happy - are you crazy?? you idiot ?? delete reference to your client !! too late not cuz others quoted it already
    good point - I should have noticed sooner - I have edited my quote.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Hmm.... One guess where a shed load of agents and contractors looking for XXX work in XXX are going to be looking, possible at the expense of the guy who posted this.....

Makes me feel not so daft after all
    Last edited by Wilmslow; 7 February 2008, 20:48.

Leave a comment:

• happySkye
    replied
    Hello HappySkye welcome to CUK

It sounds to me that you are mostly being sensible - couple of questions.

How long is the notice on your current permie job? Who wants the references?

Personally I dont like jobs without interviews - but I have always had at least 1 per job. You have no chance to find out what they are like and what they are looking for. Suppose it is in skills you dont have or dont want to do. You sound as if you could pick up whatever it is they want - but it is hard to tell from one post.

I once had a one week interview on site - it sounds similar?

Sometimes you just have to go for it - do you feel lucky punk?

All the very best whatever you decide.
    BrilloPad
    PS some of the veterans here will be along to beast you later - dont worry they are (mostly) harmless. One day you will be a veteran and can beast a newbie too!
    My current notice period is 4 weeks, but my current employer is unlickly to hold me to that as they won't want me visiting clients after I have handed in my notice. I don't want to mess my current employer around, and want to give them as much notice as possible.

The agent is asking my umbrella company for references from me! so no doubt the umbrella company will be asking me for them soon.

I am just a bit surprised that any employer thinks I am worth this much money to be honest!

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X