• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting Virgin!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

though I still think saying industry sector and town narrows it down too much? am I being too anal?

maybe town should be removed? I am not sure that the industry is needed for the post either?

poor happyskye
    Far too late for that. No doubt some smug git will highlight who it is.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Gosh - I wonder who it could be.

Could they have XXXXXXX, perchance?
      Err.... I think you had better amend. I am assuming you are a decent person??

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
        happy - are you crazy?? you idiot ?? delete reference to your client !! too late not cuz others quoted it already
        Too late - I've bagged it! (You probably wouldn't have liked it there anyway happySkye )
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Roll up, Roll up, for some full-on dog eat dog action at CUK.
          Kneel before Bod

Comment

Originally posted by happySkye View Post
            Is it normal to not have an interview with the end client ? I was supposed to have a telephone interview with <client>, but the agency phoned me last week and said it was cancelled and they wanted me to start ASAP.
            Happened to me before. the last gig I had I turned up for an interview and they wheeled me in front of a desk and said "you start now". No interview, no questions, nothing.

They wanted me to start in 2 weeks, but I have only just got my contract through, and now they want references! I don't want to hand in my notice with my current employer until this job is certain, but that won't leave me long enough on my notice period.
            Are you sure you are cut out for contracting? Nothing is definite, the work may come and it may not, you may be binned at any time if the client decides they don't have finds to pay you, etc...

If the worry of not having a secure job is stopping you from resigning you had best not resign at all. There is no such thing as a secure job in contracting.

One part of the contract with the Umbrella company states " The Employer reserves the right to lay you off without pay, if this is considered necessary" Is that normal?
            You will be a contractor, not a permie. There is a reason we get paid slightly more than a permie, our risk is much greater!!.

I am not exactly sure what the job entails as the job description is that vague, and worry that when I get down there, I will be on some sort of trial to see if I can really do the job.
            Again sounds fairly standard, you will find out exactly what they want when you get there. Don't worry about it too much, if they didn't think you were capable of doing it when they looked at your resume they wouldn't have offered you the gig. (I hope you haven't stretched the truth on your resume though......)

Comment

Too good to be true!

Best wind-up ever?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post

Are you sure you are cut out for contracting? Nothing is definite, the work may come and it may not, you may be binned at any time if the client decides they don't have finds to pay you, etc...

If the worry of not having a secure job is stopping you from resigning you had best not resign at all. There is no such thing as a secure job in contracting.
                Thats the thing, not sure if I like the idea on contracting even with the high money, but I thought if they offered a 3 month contract, then they would have to honour the 3 months. It seems not now.

Has anyone been binned from a contract within the first few weeks?

Comment

Working...
                X