• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Geektastic Fave Fives, Part Deux"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    And who's to say geekiness cannot be profitable too? I was more than delighted to part with my limited edition copy of Dark Heresy purchased for £65 just before Christmas and sold last week for £500. Ker-ching!
    Sadly I missed out.

I tried to order mine about 10 minutes too late before they had all sold out.

I did toy with the idea of ordering 2, but then decided against it for personal reasons.

Grats on the book and I hope it get's plenty of play !

We're starting in 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Now that I would not have sold... (Unless I had bought two copies when it came out that is)

Yes, I think I may have jumped the gun a bit there. I can easily see them changing hands for £1000 by the end of the year. Mind you, given that there will be no reprint run it might be a good idea to pick up some of the standard issue books which might realise a handsome return fairly rapidly.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Aye, War does look good.

Thank the F-word I never relinqiished the Guild Teamspeak Server. WOW Voice is truly dire, and wel'll never head down that path. Lazery Attack is our 4th Hosted Voice Server, and has outperformed all the rest hands down. You folks know your stuff.

All I need to do now is convince the rest of the guild that COD4 is the mutts nuts and then we'll want a COD4 server....or WAR TS Slots.....they are a fickle bunch !

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
    Excellent work, gents, I am pleased to see I am not alone in my geekiness.

And who's to say geekiness cannot be profitable too? I was more than delighted to part with my limited edition copy of Dark Heresy purchased for £65 just before Christmas and sold last week for £500. Ker-ching!
    Now that I would not have sold... (Unless I had bought two copies when it came out that is)

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Excellent work, gents, I am pleased to see I am not alone in my geekiness.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Pendragon
    History of The World
    DBM 7th Edition
    Half Life
    WoW.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    For hardcore geeks only. What is your favourite...

1. RPG?
    2. Boardgame?
    3. Tabletop Wargame?
    4. Non-MMORPG computer game?
    5. MMORPG?
    Feck, MF used to work for games workshop - he's gone up slightly in my prepubescent estimation. Not exactly the same but used to subscribe to white dwarf as a youth, and gw was the dogs bollox.

1. MERP or AD&D, paranoia occasionally. Depended on my mood.
    2. Risk
    3. Never my thing though did play with warhammer 2000
    4. Championship manager
    5. DAOC (Managed to avoid getting sucked into WOW, know where that path leads and I like to actually live my life in the RL these days).

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Aye, War does look good.

Thank the F-word I never relinqiished the Guild Teamspeak Server. WOW Voice is truly dire, and wel'll never head down that path. Lazery Attack is our 4th Hosted Voice Server, and has outperformed all the rest hands down. You folks know your stuff.

All I need to do now is convince the rest of the guild that COD4 is the mutts nuts and then we'll want a COD4 server....or WAR TS Slots.....they are a fickle bunch !

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

5. World of Warcraft of course ! Though WAR (Warhammer Age of Reckoning) does look tempting. I was in the Beta for DDO Stormreach, and then played for a year after launch. Being a diehard D&D fan, I can never forgive Valve for truly messing it up and never ironing out the bugs after a year. I gave them enough chances, but they consistenly failed to deliver after a year. DDO just felt so insular and small, compared to WOW.
    I was on the beta as well and it must be said that they could have done so much more with it. However it does have it's good side, you actually control your character rather than clicking fight and sitting back and watching it go for it. This is what has kept me there, although after having a quick peek at mod6 yesterday I got severely disheartened...

They have changed rest shrines to unlimited usage on normal diff quests and I also heard they removed the death penalty. Makes the whole thing rather pointless when casters can rest as often as they like and death is meaningless...

Got to have a go on WAR when it comes out just to see what they have done, the teaser e-mails make it look quite interesting

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    1. RPG?
    2. Boardgame?
    3. Tabletop Wargame?
    5. MMORPG?
    Ah, finally a post I can relate to !

1. Warhammer Fantasy Role Play

I've DMe'd AD&D (all versions) for the last 25 years on an almost weekly basis, but for ease of DM'ing WFRP wins hands down. About to start Dark Heresy soon (W40K RPG)

2. So many to choose from, but probably Settlers of Catan. That game single-handedly reinvigorated the Board Games Industry, and even my non-board gaming friends enjoy it. It's a true classic.

3. Games Workflops Warhammer Fantasy Battle or Axis and Allies

4. Diablo 2 (if you ignore the online play part, which is not MMORPG anyway)

5. World of Warcraft of course ! Though WAR (Warhammer Age of Reckoning) does look tempting. I was in the Beta for DDO Stormreach, and then played for a year after launch. Being a diehard D&D fan, I can never forgive Valve for truly messing it up and never ironing out the bugs after a year. I gave them enough chances, but they consistenly failed to deliver after a year. DDO just felt so insular and small, compared to WOW.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

1. RPG?
    2. Boardgame?
    3. Tabletop Wargame?
    5. MMORPG?
    1. Eh!
    2. Chess
    3. Battleships
    4. Wassat Uh!
    5. yerwot?

Leave a comment:

• Bod
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    What was above deadly?
    I'm pretty sure it went Dangerous-->Deadly-->Elite.

Can't be certain though, it was 24 years ago (OMG)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bod View Post
    I used to play "Elite" if that helps, only got to deadly though
    What was above deadly?

I used to enjoy the battle bits, but not having to trade. Plus I could never dock manually very well so needed a docking computer to do well.

Leave a comment:

• Bod
    replied

1. RPG?
    2. Boardgame?
    3. Tabletop Wargame?
    5. MMORPG?
    I don't understand any of the questions.

Is this something to do with those wierd "Games Workshop" places where they smelt their own wyverns ?

I used to play "Elite" if that helps, only got to deadly though

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    1. Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition
    2. Monopoly (although Advanced Hero Quest comes a close second)
    3. Warhammer 40,000
    4. The Witcher
    5. Dungeons and Dragons Online (Mod 6 came out today)
    Can I have my geek badge now??
    Impressive, my young padawan.

My five are:

1. Champions
    2. World in Flames
    3. De Bello Militaris
    4. Civilization IV
    5. Dunno, I think they're all fairly pants.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X