• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Abuse of the Visa system"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    You think too kindly of people AtW.
    My take is this:

a number of Indians are selected by meticulouslydodgy company. They are then coerced into applying for an HSMP which meticulously dodgy help them out with. In so doing meticulously dodgy get them to sign a contract saying that they will work through them and only through them for say 3 years at their rates of pay. "M..D.." find them work in return and probably take their passports off them.

Call me a cynic... but that is what I would do
    Isn't that your standard restriction clause DA?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Quiet, and you'd know a lot about that
    Indeed - I know more than I care to remember.

And will know even more by the end of the year at this rate.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I thought it was a typo for Her Majesty's Prison Service.
    Quiet, and you'd know a lot about that

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Do you know what HSMP is?
    I thought it was a typo for Her Majesty's Prison Service.

Leave a comment:

• bored
    replied
    If you cant beat em ...

It is this that worries me:

Our existing relationship with our employees ensures that they do not leave the project in a hurry.

Just what is "Our existing relationship"?
    Seems to me that they are hinting to the client that "Our employees can't leave us because of the terms of their visa" - hoping that the client does not know exactly what HSMP is. Definitely dodgy...

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    What's the point in staying only to get a piece of paper if you are not going to make any use of it?
    Makes a nice souvenier

And gives you options if you ever want to live in the EU again

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    HSMP now is a big profitable business for the Govt - they charge £400 to review your application, you don't get any appeals and if you get declined then you can't add a single piece of extra evidence for review. Govt is making big money from it, I am pretty certain of that - but again I think it is a better program than workpermits because people who go under it are checked better (income levels should be high in this country too, so they won't be doing IT jobs for £20k), plus it is hard for sweatshop to exploit them since they can change employer without getting new visa.

It's not easy to get under HSMP either.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    As long as you remain economically active (ie make decent money) and do not claim any benefits then you are allowed to extend your stay, until you qualify for citizenship. At which point most antipodeans get their UK passport and bugger off back to their own countries, never to be seen again. The South Africans tend to stay though, because they'd prefer to live here than in SA. I am making mass generalisations you have probably noticed.
    What's the point in staying only to get a piece of paper if you are not going to make any use of it?

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    so where u from beaker boy ?
    Oz...

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    I am on the HSMP. Supposedly the UK has skills shortages of educated people in all fields, so anyone who has a degree and makes above the average wage can get one. Lately you need to prove you understand English too. I am not aware of a cap on the number of HSMP workers in the UK.

As long as you remain economically active (ie make decent money) and do not claim any benefits then you are allowed to extend your stay, until you qualify for citizenship. At which point most antipodeans get their UK passport and bugger off back to their own countries, never to be seen again. The South Africans tend to stay though, because they'd prefer to live here than in SA. I am making mass generalisations you have probably noticed.

This company seems to offering a service (or exploiting) naiive HSMP visa holders who probably think its the best way for them to work in the UK. They are probably being paid a pittance and this company will take a cut of their earnings. My advice would be if you want decent HSMP people, go recruit them yourself.
    so where u from beaker boy ?

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    I am on the HSMP. Supposedly the UK has skills shortages of educated people in all fields, so anyone who has a degree and makes above the average wage can get one. Lately you need to prove you understand English too. I am not aware of a cap on the number of HSMP workers in the UK.

This company seems to offering a service (or exploiting) naiive HSMP visa holders who probably think its the best way for them to work in the UK. They are probably being paid a pittance and this company will take a cut of their earnings. My advice would be if you want decent HSMP people, go recruit them yourself.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    I take it that you are an HSMP applicant? Do you know how many of these are given out each year? Can anyone who meets the criteria automatically expect to obtain such a visa? or do they have a set number that they give out?

bona fide means in good faith, proper etc
    Everyone who meets the critera gets one. I am European I don't need that crap. The thing is you don't need to deal with them. The supply of skill is enough without them

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The email is simply offering HSMP people.This is points based ( abolished later this year ) and if the talent has HSMP , then they are already here legally. This is the most legal way out there.
    It's not abolished - just rolled into Tier 1 program, in effect HSMP became the testbed for points system visas in the UK, there was nothing like this before HSMP.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    The email is simply offering HSMP people.This is points based ( abolished later this year ) and if the talent has HSMP , then they are already here legally. This is the most legal way out there.

I don't mean cheaper. I am certainly not. I mean more motivated/ambitious. This is a great thing.

The thing with the large Indian company exploits "intra-company-transfer" schemes and not the HSMP.

Not sure I understand the bona fide sentence , but then I can't be bothered ot read all posts in full
    We were thinking of outsourcing you with a young indian playboy with a Tata, much cheaper than a brit with an A3.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

I don't mean cheaper. I am certainly not. I mean more motivated/ambitious. This is a great thing.

The thing with the large Indian company exploits "intra-company-transfer" schemes and not the HSMP.

Not sure I understand the bona fide sentence , but then I can't be bothered ot read all posts in full
    I take it that you are an HSMP applicant? Do you know how many of these are given out each year? Can anyone who meets the criteria automatically expect to obtain such a visa? or do they have a set number that they give out?

bona fide means in good faith, proper etc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X