• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home size more accurate than water meters!"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Look Dave, don't spoil a good rant with a few facts, sheesh
    Sorry, don't know what came over me

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    "It only applies". That's how it always starts. Soon they realise they've pulled the wool over our eyes and decide it's a better system for everyone.
    Thames Water charge most homes more for water based on the old Rateable Value system.

It's actually in their interests to stop smaller households i.e. those with less people then bedrooms for asking for water meters or forcing them to change to water meters when they move house, as they get more money from them under the Rateable Value system.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    "It only applies". That's how it always starts. Soon they realise they've pulled the wool over our eyes and decide it's a better system for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It only applies to those households who have requested a water meter and where the supplier has been unable to fit one. For example in tower blocks etc. So for a lot of customers it could actually mean they get a fairer bill wehere they arn't able to get one based on a meter.
    Look Dave, don't spoil a good rant with a few facts, sheesh

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    It only applies to those households who have requested a water meter and where the supplier has been unable to fit one. For example in tower blocks etc. So for a lot of customers it could actually mean they get a fairer bill wehere they arn't able to get one based on a meter.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I am probably showing my age here,

but when I were a lad, didn't they have what was then called 'Water Rates' ?

and then the new fangled metres came along and everyone thought their bills would go up and they did and now perhaps the meter is too transparent and people can see what their water is costing per cubic metre when compared to something like evian, and therefore it must be getting difficult to subtly raise prices therefore....

we go back to a rates style system where price is arbitary against the service provided like for example council tax ?

what does the jury think ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    Calculating water consumption by sq meter of space HAS to be the most idiotic reasoning ever.
    Very common in USSR/Soviet Russia.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    In the backward country of Cyprus they have a water meter. You pay for what you use.

Stoneage numpties I know.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    I am astonished that people/dunces get paid for coming up with this.
    Thames said the system would better reflect the amount of water households use
    Did anyone say 'fairer'

and result in lower bills
    Ahh spin...lurve it

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Fishy,

they're not the dunces

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Calculating water consumption by sq meter of space HAS to be the most idiotic reasoning ever.

Pay for what you consume measured by a meter - simple.

Like the rest of the world and the other utilities.

I am astonished that people/dunces get paid for coming up with this.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    seems like a good and fair idea to me

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Surely it should be based on the people living there.

Me in a 3 bed is going to use less water than a family of 4 in a 3 bed.

Mugs.
    Water Poll Tax! I think this probably has more to do with not wanting the expense of fitting a water meter to every house - plus it allows them to justifyplacing low users into a higher bracket. How do they know that I don't take more than one bath a year and that I don't wash my clothes/pots/car

Any means of estimating will have winners and losers - that is why it is an estimate and not an accurate (expensive) measure. Somebody could try to estimate my use of bog rolls but I suspect that they would overestimate this based on the fact that I try to get as many of my poos on the timesheet - so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
    How do Thames Water know how many bedrooms I have?
    They don't, and water meters are obviously far more accurate and fair (where they're installed).

I reckon the water companies have been pressurized into this ridiculous bedroom counting system, in an attempt to justify the Government's unconstitutional plan for councils to demand entry into peoples' homes for a council tax revaluation.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Surely it should be based on the people living there.

Me in a 3 bed is going to use less water than a family of 4 in a 3 bed.

Mugs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X