• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working in Luxembourg"

Collapse

• brendan_uk
    replied
    Ok umbrella tells me I can get maybe 80% of gross in my company splitting it so part is paid and taxed via luxembourg, no expenses.

Obvious risks of not declaring full income, but is this a worry about nothing in practice?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    http://www.pwc.com/lu/eng/ins-sol/pu...ncometaxes.pdf

I haven't read this as it doesn't affect me anymore - but it may be of some help.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Just bear in mind when you're working in a country you are tax resident after 6 months regardless of where you spend the night. In Luxembourg many cross the border work during the day cna go back to Germany or France for the evning. These cross borders are tax resident in both Luxembourg and their home country. However their salaries are not taxed in their home country due the double tax treaty.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Don't forget, with Luxembourg, you can easily drive from another country each day.

You could even change your country of residence every 6 months if you *really* wanted to become a fiscal nomad.

Leave a comment:

• brendan_uk
    replied
    Unfortunately that would mean you can't claim travelling expenses.
    Could I claim accommodation costs via umbrella, that would be my biggest outgoing.

Leave a comment:

• brendan_uk
    replied
    Many thanks folks,

What sort of % take would I end up in my pocket using an umbrella and signing up as employee?

Might be 3 years, do you think I could fly under radar that long? would be staying in serviced apartment (hopefully) and could arrange that I fly back fridays and in again Monday if I need to be over the 183 day to be liable to uk tax. Although wouldnt like too

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    But would you bet your house on that?
    Seeing as I don't own one, absolutely.

But it's a valid point - the main reason for not using your limited is that the tax authorities might consider you to be running your company from Lux/Belg etc. (and hence liable for corp. tax).

If you're flying home every weekend, it makes that much less likely.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...but if they do catch you you'll have a big bill to pay and the UK tax authorities probably won't refund anything.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    you will probably get away with using your limited - "flying under the radar" so to speak.
    But would you bet your house on that?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    look to the RHS of you screen

click on the link "overseas guides". This will tell you why using your Ltd is not a good idea

tim
    If you are intending to commute (staying in a hotel), you will probably get away with using your limited - "flying under the radar" so to speak.

Also, nobody "works" in Luxembourg they just turn up and look & sound officious.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Probably the best is ITECS or another local Luxembourg company, and be an "employee". That way you've no UK tax to pay even if you're resident in the UK as well. Unfortunately that would mean you can't claim travelling expenses.

Leave a comment:

• brendan_uk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If you´re not travelling a lot then best to go through from the outset. If you stay in hotels then yoú won´t register, however, the hotels do send your details to the authorities so they would know you´re in Luxembourg.
    Read this a few times and not sue what it means

Thinking of contract in Luxembourg so after 6 months will be liable to local taxes. Seems I have a couple of options.
    1. go via umbrella
    2. set up local company and get local accountant to make sure i am compliant.
    3. Any others?

I have enough trouble getting my head round my uk company and accountant so thinking of going with umbrella for ease of use. don't mind paying correct local tax to be compliant, but obviously want to be as tax efficient as possible,

Anyone with practical experience in Luxembourg?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You can work for up to six months, but after that you´ll need to go "native", you couldn´t then claim any expenses. If you´re not travelling a lot then best to go through from the outset. If you stay in hotels then yoú won´t register, however, the hotels do send your details to the authorities so they would know you´re in Luxembourg.

Leave a comment:

• PeterC
    replied
    Thanks tim - that gives me plenty to think about.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    look to the RHS of you screen

click on the link "overseas guides". This will tell you why using your Ltd is not a good idea

tim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X