• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "average speed cameras"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    That would be an absolute walkover to challenge in court - there's no way they can guarantee that their equipment is so finely calibrated and operated to within such a degree of accuracy in the variable conditions found in the field.

Any competent lawyer could have a 31mph speeding charge thrown out in a couple of minutes... which is why ACPO recommends using the (+ 10% +2) tolerance.
    Perhaps so, I'm only stating the facts, how well they relate to reality I've no idea. The only references I've found so far (from the net) are indirect ones, mostly from the press, though convictions of 33mph appear to have occurred.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    FFS. Not in Wales. Wot I said. [Perhaps not all of Wales, I don't recall the exact wording used], but in parts there's a zero tolerance policy - that includes 31 mph.
    That would be an absolute walkover to challenge in court - there's no way they can guarantee that their equipment is so finely calibrated and operated to within such a degree of accuracy in the variable conditions found in the field.

Any competent lawyer could have a 31mph speeding charge thrown out in a couple of minutes... which is why ACPO recommends using the (+ 10% +2) tolerance.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    ... but in practise it's the way all forces operate.
    FFS. Not in Wales. Wot I said. [Perhaps not all of Wales, I don't recall the exact wording used], but in parts there's a zero tolerance policy - that includes 31 mph.

So forget the arithmetic lessons and check your local area. You may also get an idea from the way others are driving. E.g. doing 29 mph when everyone else is doing 34 mph = pain in the arse for all concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    That's in accordance with the unofficial guidance given by ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) of speed limit + (10% of speed limit) + 2mph as the threshold for prosecution. Note that this is not enshrined in any legislation, and cannot be relied on, but in practise it's the way all forces operate.

Don't drive like an arse.
    Most police forces will also operate random "zero tolerance" weeks.... just to keep drivers on the ball/taking the piss
    The tolerance there is to allow for inaccurate (but still within legal limits) speedometers, momentary lapses in concentration

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Fortunately where I live the policy is not to convict for anything less than 35 mph on a 30 mph road.
    That's in accordance with the unofficial guidance given by ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) of speed limit + (10% of speed limit) + 2mph as the threshold for prosecution. Note that this is not enshrined in any legislation, and cannot be relied on, but in practise it's the way all forces operate.

So, for the mathematically challenged among us, the speeds you can probably get away with at various limits are:

30mph => 35mph
    40mph => 46mph
    50mph => 57mph
    60mph => 68mph
    70mph => 79mph

although in all circumstances you can be prosecuted for driving too fast for conditions (so for example 50mph on a motorway could be enough to see you in court in busy conditions and/or bad weather).

Furthermore, the chance of causing serious injury to a pedestrian is significantly higher at 35mph than at 30mph, and significantly lower at 25mph.

So although these guidelines may offer a suggestion as to what you might be able to get away with, they should be considered irrelevant in comparison to the golden rule:

Don't drive like an arse.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    I know of one person who was caught in the average speed trap in Wales and another in the M4 stretch recently. However, sometimes the cameras are off, which you can usually tell by the fact that they have bin liners over them.

NN
    I’ve recently been informed that the Wales (constabulary?) have a zero tolerance policy for speeding offences. Fortunately where I live the policy is not to convict for anything less than 35 mph on a 30 mph road. Regarding motorway speed cameras, the new ones are digital (no film) and are linked to somewhere by wire, not with someone collecting the film, and you can get a speeding ticket the next day. I believe they were not switched on until recently for some reason, don’t recall why.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    A good way to see which ones are live is to use the camera on your mobile phone!

The live ones emit a bright infrared light (so yes sockpuppet, they work at night).

The camera in your phone can see the infrared light and thus you see bright white light on the screen. No light = dead as a dodo.

I was a bit bored on the M6 once and found that out... don't tell anyone though!
    Last edited by miffy; 31 January 2008, 17:00.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    Of course not!
    The very idea!
    I would never do such a thing!
    The thought never entered my head (*until you put it there)

I'm an honest, hard-working, upright citizen who would never even think of breaking the law

Honest M'Lud
    Glad to hear it

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    You aren't considering committing a premeditated crime are you?

Of course not!
    The very idea!
    I would never do such a thing!
    The thought never entered my head (*until you put it there)

I'm an honest, hard-working, upright citizen who would never even think of breaking the law

Honest M'Lud

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    I know of one person who was caught in the average speed trap in Wales and another in the M4 stretch recently. However, sometimes the cameras are off, which you can usually tell by the fact that they have bin liners over them.

NN

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Maybe the law isn't enforced quite as rigidly as some people will lead you to believe
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I often wonder how it is that once I've set cruise for 44 as measured by GPS (and car showing nearer 50), people mostly in flash cars with vanity plates seem to sail past - no way of knowing if they just pay the fines, or if they don't get caught. Then again - just because you don't get caught, doesn't mean you didn't break the law ........
    Maybe the law isn't enforced quite as rigidly as some people will lead you to believe

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Between cameras. Better still, skid/drift through them side on at 100 and they won't be able to see your number plate at all.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    Does it work if you change lanes between cameras or do you have to change lanes while the cameras are looking at you?
    You aren't considering committing a premeditated crime are you?

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    cameras in Ayrshire

The only examples of these cameras in Scotland that I know of is on a 10-mile stretch of the M77 in Ayrshire. There was an item on a news program a while back where the police authority said that the number of motorists caught by them had declined significantly.

Perhaps they'd found out about the lane changing dodge.

Does it work if you change lanes between cameras or do you have to change lanes while the cameras are looking at you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X