• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Self Assessment Online"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

If you get caught do you then complain about inadequate policing?

No, I put on a curly wig and moustache before asking "is it coz I squeak?"

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    I'm hoping for the same as well. I got picked up for my expense claims a couple of years back by the Kent Office at the time. However, I'm now under the Portsmouth area, with a new tax office, so maybe I might get picked on again.

Even though I'm in the same area I've noticed each year they change the office I should send it to. Maybe I'm on a boundary or something.

I usually hand deliver it to avoid inevitable Royal Mail burger ups, but this year Autoroute suggests their address is in the middle of a field. I'm expecting an announcement on the news that they've mislaid them all, closely followed by a new mountain being discovered.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    That's why I use the Liverpool fan mentality, rush them and hope you get through without being spotted.

If you get caught do you then complain about inadequate policing?

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    That's why I use the Liverpool fan mentality, rush them and hope you get through without being spotted. No doubt all of us that leave it to the last minute think the same, and it's nothing to do with being too lazy to do it early.

I did get investigated for expense claims about 5 years ago. Hopefully as I was deemed clean that time they'll just let me through if anyone considers doing another investigation again. Surely we'd have a case of victimisation if we kept being investigated, or more than once in a short period of time.
    I'm hoping for the same as well. I got picked up for my expense claims a couple of years back by the Kent Office at the time. However, I'm now under the Portsmouth area, with a new tax office, so maybe I might get picked on again.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    I did mine back in October, though I paid the outstanding amount a couple of days ago. Must admit, the thought does play on your mind that someone in the tax office basically places a whole bunch of returns in front of him or her and then says the magic words...

Eenie meanie minee moe

Either that, or they flip a coin to decide whether to investigate!!!

That's why I use the Liverpool fan mentality, rush them and hope you get through without being spotted. No doubt all of us that leave it to the last minute think the same, and it's nothing to do with being too lazy to do it early.

I did get investigated for expense claims about 5 years ago. Hopefully as I was deemed clean that time they'll just let me through if anyone considers doing another investigation again. Surely we'd have a case of victimisation if we kept being investigated, or more than once in a short period of time.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    I did mine back in October, though I paid the outstanding amount a couple of days ago. Must admit, the thought does play on your mind that someone in the tax office basically places a whole bunch of returns in front of him or her and then says the magic words...

Eenie meanie minee moe

Either that, or they flip a coin to decide whether to investigate!!!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Paper version vetted and sent in by the accountants a couple of weeks ago, payed via bank transfer last week. Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• Chantho
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Geez. I did mine in June.

Really. Is it *that* hard to get with the program and get organised.
    Completed mine online circa June, I owed them something from past years, paid up and got a "you are up-to-date / don't owe anything" confirmation (albeit some months later). No problem at all.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I have been brainwashed

The first thing I thought when I read the thtead title was "tax doesnt have to be taxing"

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    The cynic in me says HMRC have done it on purpose to rake in the £100 fines. Got to be worth a few million to them.

The psychic in me foresaw this cock-up and sent the paper version in a couple of days ago. It was so hard working out I owed them nothing, again.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Nah given up. Mines too bloody complicated anyway.

My account rushed off yesterday as is father died suddenly, so I suppose I'll have to wait until he's back, do it next week and take the fine. I'll just pass it on to him

....(joking)

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Mine went through no probs earlier in the week, seems one of the better gov websites. The DVLA one is a complete non starter, I've never got past the logon page yet.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Geez. I did mine in June.

Really. Is it *that* hard to get with the program and get organised.

Leave a comment:

• dude69
    replied
    let's face it though: anyone that left it this late is a muppet.

Hope HMRC sues its IT provider though

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    started a topic Self Assessment Online

Self Assessment Online

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7219718.stm

Is it me, or do the words "Piss-up", "Brewery" and "Couldn't Organise" apply to this government?

Working...
X