• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Outfox the Firefox?"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Nope, this is deep down inside the rendering engine. It's a well-formed HTML page with valid CSS; when a className is changed to dynamically hide certain elements (while un-hiding others) at a lower level the rendering engine goes into an infinite (or at least indeterminately lengthy) loop. Or to be precise, it does if those elements are actually visible in the browser window; if they're currently scrolled off screen, it doesn't enter the infinite loop until they are scrolled into view, and if they never are brought into view it doesn't crash at all.

However, before they are in view, use of MS's DOM inspector reveals that the browser thinks they are somewhere up by the top left of the window (not the page, but the actual top left of the window, as if they had "position: fixed;" set), although it's unable to render their actual content there, and they don't appear in any z-index related stacking order.

The fix is to also toggle a garbage className on the parent element of the things it's having trouble re-rendering. This forces it to do a reflow on that element before attempting to reflow the outermost container, which allows it to get its internal data structures (the ones below the level of the DOM structures exposed to the outside via COM) into a coherent state, with the result that everything works properly again. This also has the virtue of having no unpleasant side effects on other browsers (assuming the garbage className isn't one referenced in any CSS, of course - something like "sodding-ie-reflow-trigger" does nicely ).

Interestingly, it's the second time I've come across virtually the same bug in IE 7 in the last two weeks, although the last one wasn't a crasher; this is why I need to work on producing a minimal test case to allow me to determine the precise trigger(s) before publishing my findings.

Once I realised that I needed to force the rendering engine to do an unnecessary reflow, I thought of the dummy className technique. Then, today, I found that it also worked to fix a problem IE 6 was having with something different, so it's a potentially useful technique in a number of situations.

And, because all browsers have a similar need to do a reflow when dynamic stuff happens, it's quite possible that it might be useful for dealing with odd layout problems in other ones - after all, none of them are perfect

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I'm running Firefox on Vista, no problem here.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    ...the first rule of page layout: if it looks right first time in IE then you have done it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    What he said

FWIW it does the same in Safari and Opera - can't be bothered to check the crock of tulip that is IE.

If it is coping in IE 6 and 7, then it's a good demonstration of the first rule of page layout: if it looks right first time in IE then you have done it wrong. Get it looking right in the browsers that work properly (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Konqueror et. al.) and then see what IE bugs have been triggered and apply the necessary fixes in such a way as not to affect the real browsers.

(Hint: applying "zoom: 1;" to the relevant block-level containers is usually all that's necessary, unless you start running into things like the Three Pixel Text Jog, the Magik Creeping Text or the phenomenally stupid IE7-crasher I identified over the last few days, and haven't yet reduced to the absolute minimum test case - when I say "crasher", I mean "The task is not responding" style crash.)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/gpde/pages/javascript-memory-leak-detector.aspx

Something related to the above?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    What he said

FWIW it does the same in Safari and Opera - can't be bothered to check the crock of tulip that is IE.

If it is coping in IE 6 and 7, then it's a good demonstration of the first rule of page layout: if it looks right first time in IE then you have done it wrong. Get it looking right in the browsers that work properly (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Konqueror et. al.) and then see what IE bugs have been triggered and apply the necessary fixes in such a way as not to affect the real browsers.

(Hint: applying "zoom: 1;" to the relevant block-level containers is usually all that's necessary, unless you start running into things like the Three Pixel Text Jog, the Magik Creeping Text or the phenomenally stupid IE7-crasher I identified over the last few days, and haven't yet reduced to the absolute minimum test case - when I say "crasher", I mean "The task is not responding" style crash.)
    It breaks in IE7 - curiously the overlap goes over, not under the tds to the right.
    I think the templates are more of an issue here - the form is likely to be hard-written into the php so making structural changes would mean getting under the bonnet of the vb software itself. The general chatter is Drupal as an alternative, to output code separating content from presentation entirely. For instance - that iframe's fixed width throws everything else around it out, regardless of properties given to the containing elements. I did try, but CSS alone won't fix this.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Actually, looking into this in more detail you've got a tableset with this div and td.controlbar in there as well. '.vBulletin_editor' is 100% width and the whole cell is keeping its width when you reduce the size of the browser window, leading to this overlap. You could take away the tables and use relative positioning, giving the right-hand boxes a lower z-index so if they do overlap, they go under the editor box.
    I think it's the iframe that's called in the td class 'controlbar'. this code here:<iframe style="border: 2px inset ; width: 540px; height: 250px;" tabindex="1" id="vB_Editor_001_iframe"></iframe> that may be causing the problem.
    It's not something I can correct using CSS alone - a change has to be made to the template. Sorry.
    What he said

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Is this your entry in the nerd of the week competition?
    I think it's the iframe that's called in the td class 'controlbar'. this code here:<iframe style="border: 2px inset ; width: 540px; height: 250px;" tabindex="1" id="vB_Editor_001_iframe"></iframe> that may be causing the problem.
    It's not something I can correct using CSS alone - a change has to be made to the template. Sorry.
    Last edited by realityhack; 30 January 2008, 13:31.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Actually, looking into this in more detail you've got a tableset with this div and td.controlbar in there as well. '.vBulletin_editor' is 100% width and the whole cell is keeping its width when you reduce the size of the browser window, leading to this overlap. You could take away the tables and use relative positioning, giving the right-hand boxes a lower z-index so if they do overlap, they go under the editor box.
    Is this your entry in the nerd of the week competition?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Mods - if you make the class '.vBulletin_editor' fluid it should fix this problem. Try experimenting with a % width inside the 'panel' class.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    In IE there is a horizontal scroll bar at up to about 1100 pixels width, in Firefox up to about 950 pixels.

In IE the grey bit the smileys are on is unobscured. The white "contractor alliance" and other advert boxes are to the right.

In Firefox, they float further in and float under the smileys but over their grey box.
    Well, that's pretty well what I noticed. But it does not seem tome to be "correct" in termes of what I would expect a browser to do.

Still, I learned on Script/VS so what do I know?

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    In IE there is a horizontal scroll bar at up to about 1100 pixels width, in Firefox up to about 950 pixels.

In IE the grey bit the smileys are on is unobscured. The white "contractor alliance" and other advert boxes are to the right.

In Firefox, they float further in and float under the smileys but over their grey box.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Depends on your screen resolution.
    Ta, but I thought that the whole point of the Markup/Browser model was that I got to decide that?

It's 1024 x 768 on this machine.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Depends on your screen resolution.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    started a topic Outfox the Firefox?

Outfox the Firefox?

Why are the smileys over to the right in 3 columns with the rightmost over the CUK Navigation links?

Is it CUK that is wrong, Firefox that is wrong, or is it just an administrative oversight, nothing to see here, just leave it to us?

Working...
X