• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More Daily Mail fodder"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Tex View Post
    Actually that's not quite true. The UK punishes attempting a crime the same as actually carrying it out, with one or two exceptions (mainly terrorism).
    The "terrorism" charge is usually reserved for when they can't make anything else stick!

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied
    Correcting myself

Originally posted by Tex View Post
    Well in one case the perp actually attempted to carry out the murder, in the other it was merely at the planning stage. Some might say that makes a difference. UK law does not, as it punishes planning to commit a crime the same as actually committing it.
    Actually that's not quite true. The UK punishes attempting a crime the same as actually carrying it out, with one or two exceptions (mainly terrorism).

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Is there some formula that should be used to decide that one crime is more abhorrent than the other?
    Well in one case the perp actually attempted to carry out the murder, in the other it was merely at the planning stage. Some might say that makes a difference. UK law does not, as it punishes planning to commit a crime the same as actually committing it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    As I said in my original post, it is shocking what people do when they have a perverted belief.
    The plotters believed what they were doing, was, according to their religious beliefs, morally justifiable. In fact, a righteous act.

There's nowhere that I can see which suggests Kate Knight was motivated by anything other than greed and hatred.

Can you clarify - precisely what perverted belief did she have?

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Device

You've made my tosh-ometer go off-scale now!

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    Keep digging...
    Will still be way above you

P.S. Don't forget to vote.

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    In a hole and..

Keep digging...

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
    I think the Master has you banged to rights, Clippy. You can't slip in a contentious post like that and then say you didn't intend the two to be compared.
    I do appreciate your view (and The Masters) but what element in particular is contentious?

Is there some formula that should be used to decide that one crime is more abhorrent than the other?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Perhaps the public should decide?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ge-clippy.html
    Last edited by Lucifer Box; 29 January 2008, 16:15.

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    PC Clippy

That's what happens when you always try to be politically correct. You have to constantly justify yourself with tosh excuses

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I made no comparison between the crimes and the perpertrators and tried to view them without emotion.

As I said in my original post, it is shocking what people do when they have a perverted belief.

I will let you decide for yourself If I had a hidden agenda (my previous posts on this board will help you judge if I have such a duplicitous nature) in posting it within this thread or if I genuinely thought it highlighted well the way we as a society view crimes and our reactions to them.
    I think the Master has you banged to rights, Clippy. You can't slip in a contentious post like that and then say you didn't intend the two to be compared.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Master View Post
    So you're saying no comparison was intended between the planned murders and it was purely a coincidence you chose this thread to highlight the other crime?
    I made no comparison between the crimes and the perpertrators and tried to view them without emotion.

I will let you decide for yourself If I had a hidden agenda (my previous posts on this board will help you judge if I have such a duplicitous nature) in posting it within this thread or if I genuinely thought it highlighted well the way we as a society view crimes and our reactions to them.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    It was done objectively without getting emotional about the subject matter.

Both individuals/groups of individuals strongly believed that what they were doing was right based on their perverted thinking.

Your reaction highlights the relative weighting we as a society give to our abhorrence to particular crimes.

My comments were not meant to take away from the horror of either crime.
    So you're saying no comparison was intended between the planned murders and it was purely a coincidence you chose this thread to highlight the other crime?

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
    You are a veritable canine McCavity, Churchill.

You are T.S. Eliot and I claim my 5 moggies!

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Master View Post
    I'm afraid to say that's weak, Clippy. Did you mention it in this thread apropos of nothing in particular then?
    It was done objectively without getting emotional about the subject matter.

Both individuals/groups of individuals strongly believed that what they were doing was right based on their perverted thinking.

Your reaction highlights the relative weighting we as a society give to our abhorrence to particular crimes.

My comments were not meant to take away from the horror of either crime.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X