• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do referees get contacted?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    In 2005, Progressive called me to take up a reference. There was no fishing for contacts at all. I was somewhat stunned.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Past couple have been checked, but they were for roles where I opted in / didn't opt out.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Yes, nearly every time. I make sure I set up the arrangement though, not the EB and inform the EB that I have told the referee what to expect from the call, along with likely questions (which I get from the EB) and how long it is likely to last. These formalities usually deter any sales calls.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I've never had a reference checked, I have had a reference asked if he wanted any contractors though

Leave a comment:

• shelby68
    replied
    3 out of my last 4 jobs have checked references but in all fairness one of them was for Security clearance and the other was for a CRB check so I suppose only 1 real reference check,

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I know one of the other posters on this board has a couple of spare cell-phones, the number of which they give out as if for referees. They have worked like this for many years. They have never been asked for references, always fishing calls.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    While listening to an agent (yet again) saying how they ALWAYS follow up references I realised:

In my last six gigs, none of my referees were contacted. Each gig needed two references.

To your knowledge, how often do references get followed up for agency gigs? Ever?

(Yeah, yeah, employment businesses. Yadda, yadda. Agents.)

None of mine.

However, they chased up references BEFORE a gig once which was really bad - especially as I did not get the gig and existing work found out!! to be honest, I think they were just database fishing. LArge agent as well. (One of the Computer ones)

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    started a topic Do referees get contacted?

Do referees get contacted?

While listening to an agent (yet again) saying how they ALWAYS follow up references I realised:

In my last six gigs, none of my referees were contacted. Each gig needed two references.

To your knowledge, how often do references get followed up for agency gigs? Ever?

(Yeah, yeah, employment businesses. Yadda, yadda. Agents.)

Working...
X