• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice sought re high interest accounts"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Not sure if it is an infant school days mistake or something I've picked up in later years. Please feel free to correct at will.
    surely, it's a misspelling of:

should've

tim

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Can anyone recommend a high-interest personal savings account for a sum of around 20k that pays interest to the account monthly and has good customer service?
    Cater Allen

and you can have Sterling, Euro and Dollar accounts if you want

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Jack View Post
    I worry about anyone who doesn't know the difference between "of" and "have".
    Not sure if it is an infant school days mistake or something I've picked up in later years. Please feel free to correct at will.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Jack View Post
    What he said!

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    I think the Euro has had its good run, a few articles starting to appear that the problems in Euroland may well be worse than UK and the US. 50/50 which way the sterling v euro exchange rate will go.
    Perhaps. But the value of German labour is high. Germans make things the world wants (even China). Germans sell their labour for Euros; ultimately you need to buy Euros to avail of German talents. A more interesting question is can Germany prop up the rest of the Eurozone. As for Britain, I fell this the end of the end. A culmination of a process of managed decline that started in 1914. For the future, look east.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Jack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    Just trying to cheer up those that have bought a house recently
    I'm also 95% sure they are going down, and a strong chance it'll be a serious correction lasting quite a few years. I bought the big house for the more kids reason, in hindsight I should of held off but I'd held off the purchase for a few years already while they were cerating this mess with low interest rates. Don't worry about me I'm sitting pretty anyway, I just could of been in the market for buying a mansion on the cheap if I'd stuck to Plan A !

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    No there isn't, there is a tiny possibility of that happening.

tim
    Just trying to cheer up those that have bought a house recently

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Yeah, I know what you mean. There is every possibility they could just keep on rising.
    No there isn't, there is a tiny possibility of that happening.

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    I think the Euro has had its good run, a few articles starting to appear that the problems in Euroland may well be worse than UK and the US. 50/50 which way the sterling v euro exchange rate will go.
    Yep, The Euro's only done well in the last two months because the ECB has refused to acknowledge that the next interest rate movement is down. Sooner or later, they will have to do that.

tim

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    I had that plan and sat back in 2005 confident of the big crash but the sods saved the day with even lower interest rates. Ended up with two and a half houses somehow or other at just the wrong time but fingers crossed it will be down to 1 and a half again sometime this week. Had three sales fall through in the past three months, two due to redundancies of the buyers. I'd be very confident if I was you but I think you'll be waiting a few years to make that killing. Just opened ICIC and B&B in anticipation of a wad coming my way !
    Yeah, I know what you mean. There is every possibility they could just keep on rising. Was more that we could not find a house we liked to buy and with 2nd kiddie on the way needed more room one way or the other. With the new baby due in June I can't see us wanting to move for at least 18 months so happy to hold on for a year or two.

Hope the sale goes through OK for you roots, two potential buyers getting made redundant is scary stuff! Mad when you consider the government spin shows that employment is booming!

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    Why save money in a depreciating currency? 0% in a Euro account is better than 10% in a Sterling account.
    6-6.5% interest on sterling is hopefully going to be better than the small rises in house prices (fingers crossed massive falls) - the interest on the money we made on the house we sold is paying our rent at the minute so, while I understand we are standing still, I am happy to sit back and watch for the minute. Yes, if interest rates fall we will be getting less money back in interest, but had we held on and prices do fall over the next couple of years we will have done OK.

Was a pain in the arse opening the accounts and sorting the house out, let alone thinking about shoving into a different currency, will leave that for those smarter than me...

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Why save money in a depreciating currency? 0% in a Euro account is better than 10% in a Sterling account.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What about 2%+ convesion cost each way? And currency fluctuations?

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    No worries, sold house end of last year and moved into rented so had to open a few accounts Bring on the crash!
    I had that plan and sat back in 2005 confident of the big crash but the sods saved the day with even lower interest rates. Ended up with two and a half houses somehow or other at just the wrong time but fingers crossed it will be down to 1 and a half again sometime this week. Had three sales fall through in the past three months, two due to redundancies of the buyers. I'd be very confident if I was you but I think you'll be waiting a few years to make that killing. Just opened ICIC and B&B in anticipation of a wad coming my way !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X