• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Only Positive Thoughts!"

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Anyone been involved in a project where you were not allowed to say anything negative about the project? That if you did you would be perceived as not towing the party line?

I have and just can't understand why someone would encourage this sort of environment??
    Abso-frigging-lutely. Last client site.

Programme Manager: "... and we don't want any mistakes like that last time."

Me: "What was that?"

<everyone in the room goes rock solid and glazed expression>

Programme Manager: "Pardon?"

Me: "What was the nature of what went wrong, how was it caused, what lessons were learned and what is the strategy for avoidi..."

Programme Manager: "WE WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN."

Me: "But..."

Programme Manager: "WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THAT PROJECT."

That was the start of the end of that professional relationship.

Whatever the balls-up was (nobody ever would tell me), it got her promoted from Project Manager to Programme Manager so her strategy clearly worked.

- - - - - - - -

From a professional project management perspective, such behaviour is about as bad as it gets. In the case of big government projects being in a state of constant denial (eg NPfIT) it is downright criminal, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    In touch with nature then, well done AtW
    There is a squirrel in the trees at the rear of my new house, possibly two but I can't be sure as yet.
    will keep you posted

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    This squirrel and others were watching my friends who came to make photoes, they were not squirrel lovers before but they are now

A couple of my squirrels allow me to touch them - one lets me stroke bushy tail a bit, won't say he is happy, but he tolerates it, in other cases I usually use this trick - I cut off little finger in the glove, so when squirrels jump on my hand I can stroke their belly - very warm and pleasant to touch

See the movie in case you have not seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6NLIappNGs

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No, I mean I have got friends, honest
    So this squirrel I mean is it not scared of you ? Does it allow you to touch it ? Be honest , how serious things are ?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You mean there is more than one squirrel lover in the world?
    No, I mean I have got friends, honest

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It was not me who was holding the camera
    You mean there is more than one squirrel lover in the world?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    Atw , the squirrel is kinda spooky on this pic , are you sure it is not waiting for the appropriate moment to cut you throat ?
    It was not me who was holding the camera

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Yes, it was called USSR.

Atw , the squirrel is kinda spooky on this pic , are you sure it is not waiting for the appropriate moment to cut you throat ?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Anyone been involved in a project where you were not allowed to say anything negative about the project? That if you did you would be perceived as not towing the party line?

I have and just can't understand why someone would encourage this sort of environment??
    Both me and the Tech Manager are trying to run away from this project. The PM keeps showing off to directors but he doesn't realise that he has ****ed up so badly this ship is going down without its captain

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Yes, it was called USSR.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Anyone been involved in a project where you were not allowed to say anything negative about the project?
    Yes, it was called USSR.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied

Oh yes.

Advertising agencies (the small ones are the worst). Though they used to pay well.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    This scene in "Carry on up the Khyber" reminds me of a number of projects. Even when disaster is knocking on the front door, the management don't notice for a moment. Classic viewing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxX7YW_97QU

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    They're all like that in Denmark. You either get with it or have a psychotic episode.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied

The project I worked on last year was a bit like that. The general corporate culture was very upbeat and positive even when there were issues that needed addressing and behaviours from some project members that would clearly not be acceptable in another environment. Luckily it was a very well run programme on the whole, and I had a great Progamme Manager who I respected a great deal and who understood and agreed with my working practices as ir35 exempt in practice and on paper, otherwise I'm not sure I would have survived.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X