• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Goodbye my friend

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Goodbye my friend"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Fancy going on as if a car was a sentient creature. Now had it been a VAN, I could understand. Vans are sensitive and highly intelligent.
    I got used to the Mondeo's reliability, economy and ease/cost of repair. Next best might be something bigger that I could kip in too, such as a cheap n cheerful autocamper that would also serve as a runabout. I’m half tempted to buy something like that and ditch the house etc, and be a gypo.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Fancy going on as if a car was a sentient creature. Now had it been a VAN, I could understand. Vans are sensitive and highly intelligent.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    ...should be into Beemers and Mercs as entry level?

Where's your self respect?
    Mine's in not wasting cash on those style over substance tulipmobiles :-)

Have driven examples of both and really can't see why they are worth the extra - BMWs weren't any more fun to drive than my old Sierra.

I have a Mondeo, although it's slightly newer than the recently (nearly) deceased.

I also have a load of other cars, but that's a whole other story.
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 2 February 2008, 12:46. Reason: accuracy based on update to Mondeo status

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The final (I hope) bill

I collected my Mondeo from the engineering firm that repaired my engine yesterday, having been waiting for the insurers to assess my car subsequent to the rear bumper being damaged while under their care. The bill for the engine repair was £860 inclusive of VAT. The car seems to be going well, though I’m still using the insurers hire car while the bumper is in a state.

The insurance assessor phoned me to say that as far as they are concerned my Mondeo is a write-off, and offered me £600 to tow away, or I can keep it. I say it’s worth at least £860 to me since that’s the cost of the recent repair. He says a local car magazine shows newer models selling for around £600. I give reasons why my car is probably better than those advertised. After a while he says okay, £700. I agree to the £700 and they agree to send a cheque. Perhaps I could have held out for more?

The engineering firm give me a contact name of a bumper repair firm, so I take the Mondeo there for a quote. It’s £170. This seems reasonable and I ask for a further quote to fix rust spots on both rear wheel arches and this comes to £300. I said to go ahead and do this too, though in retrospect I think I should have stuck with the £170 option and touched up the rust spots myself. I suspect he will take less for cash though. While cleaning the car later I discover the front indicator glass has also been smashed (WTF) and order one from Ford, for £25.

So my total bill is 860 +25 + 300 – 700 = £485.

I was fortunate that someone bashed into my car since the old bumper wasn’t great and it reduced my bill significantly. So I will have a reconditioned engine, a nicer looking bumper and wings for £485. If the car goes well the decision to keep rather than scrap will have been a good one, I hope.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Woohoo. Norwich Union phoned me today to say that my rear bumper (broken by the firm repairing my car engine) will be replaced (by their insurers) and to say that they will provide me with a hire car to use while they sort out a new bumper. They can take their time. I’ll probably be getting a better car to use in the meantime and a new bumper. Despite my newfound freedom of swooping and soaring on grass and verge, road and pavement with carefree abandon (and park outside shops) riding my pushbike is wearing a bit thin now (especially with the rather non-swooping affect of cycling back up a bloody hill back to where I live). It’s not so much fun cycling up a 100m elevation after doing 300lb squats down the gym, at least in theory; I decided not to put the theory to the test.

The hire car people will collect me tomorrow. What a far cry this motorised transporting malarkey is from the old pushbike. Through all these dark times I was never desperate enough to consider actually using public transport though <shudder> and may use the bike more than for recreational purposes in future. Not for going to the gym with though. I even had the park attendent chase me with his little tractor thingy the other day, but that's another short and boring story.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    A Reliant Robin? Wow, you lucky blighter! Why did you split up with her?
    Traded her in for a younger model.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I loved my Explorer!

And then I persuaded my (now ex)wife to buy me a RR.
    A Reliant Robin? Wow, you lucky blighter! Why did you split up with her?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
    I thought it was only me that was foolish enough to buy an Explorer
    I loved my Explorer!

And then I persuaded my (now ex)wife to buy me a RR.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Bollocks, the Cam-Chain went on my Ford Explorer. Every time I had the car serviced I asked them to check the Cam Chain. "There's no need sir, it's a chain, they don't need servicing..."

Bastards!
    I thought it was only me that was foolish enough to buy an Explorer

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    An update on the progress of the repairs.

I phoned the engineering firm today to get some feedback on progress of my engine repair. They tell me that the engine is soon to be put back together, and that this may occur within the next couple of days. They also tell me that my rear bumper has been torn off and broken in half by a truck. Apparently this was done by a reputable firm and he or they (it got confusing exactly what would be done here) will sort out the replacement, though I’m left a teansy bit unconvinced. It looks like I’m going to be on my bike for a while longer anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    The one I just bought is I presume ex fleet, had done 19K in 10 months, I looked into British Car Auctions but it would of meant a day off work. I'd of give it a try if I wasn't working. Why don't you do the same again, I intend mine lasting me 10 years+. It's a kind of bangernomics !
    There’s a website on bangernomics where they also say to avoid private car sales at auction. I would do the auction thing again if I wanted a higher valued car. These days it seems that a runner can be had for around the £1000 mark though. Evidently I'm not putting that theory into practise here myself, so don't ask me.
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 11 January 2008, 16:06.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Might be worth £80 as scarp...

Once it's in the scarpyard, it's worth about £1000 in bits.
    The going rate for a Vectra Up North is £60 collected but it's only a sideline for the recovery people and I can't get them to turn up to get rid of mine. I might have to tow it to the scrapyard, not fun with no power steering or proper brakes.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I originally bought the Mondeo at auction. Ex fleet car with immaculate service history, and I assume had done mostly motorway miles. I wouldn’t buy a non-ex company car from auction though.
    The one I just bought is I presume ex fleet, had done 19K in 10 months, I looked into British Car Auctions but it would of meant a day off work. I'd of give it a try if I wasn't working. Why don't you do the same again, I intend mine lasting me 10 years+. It's a kind of bangernomics !

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I originally bought the Mondeo at auction. Ex fleet car with immaculate service history, and I assume had done mostly motorway miles. I wouldn’t buy a non-ex company car from auction though.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    In its present condition, little or nothing. To someone else, working, about the cost of the repair bill I expect. To me, about £2000 working I suppose, not knowing what a 13 year old Modeo is worth.
    I think you are down into £500-800 category at 13 years old. If you can get the engine going for £500 and the rest of the car is Ok it might be worth it if you still want a banger. You could spend a grand on a 'new' banger one and it won't last two minutes. A lad at work just went banger shopping at an auction and he said it was quite a sight looking at the trail of broken down cars ( some smoking ! ) as people tried to drive them home.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X