• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mighty Mouse - A new species?"

Collapse

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    2006 Darwin Award Nominee
    Confirmed True by Darwin

(10 January 2007, East Germany) A 63-year-old man's extraordinary effort to eradicate a mole from his property resulted in a victory for the mole. The man pounded several metal rods into the ground and connected them to a high-voltage power line, with the intent of rendering the subterranean realm uninhabitable. Incidentally, the maneuver electrified the very ground he stood upon. He was found dead at his holiday property on the Baltic Sea. Police had to trip the main circuit breaker before venturing onto the property. The precise date of the sexagenarian's demise could not be ascertained, but the electricity bill may provide a clue.
    Don't do this!

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    ... Had a quick search and you can see the traps here:
    http://www.frenchentree.com/france-d...e.asp?ID=13134
    Following the link it says:

"Every year, at least 20,000 people in France are injured in some way as a result of trying to kill moles"

May I humbly suggest, we should be using humane mole traps and shipping our moles live to France. The moles are doing sterling work over there!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    One would assume that moles employ vertical and lateral movement in their tunnel-digging lawn-wrecking fests.

Unless of course they have mastered the art of levitation, which, although admirable, has not ever been recorded by the likes of Bill Oddie or David Attenborough. Although there may be a sinister motive for that.

Void Reaver Down ! Another Guild 1st !

Friday Night is Drunken Kara run on Teamspeak...can't wait...

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    You need to think laterally with moles. It's called "concrete".
    Vertically, surely?

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    You need to think laterally with moles. It's called "concrete".

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    We had moles in our garden once and my dad set traps for them. He told us how the traps worked, often not killing it and just holding it there until it just died through lack of food etc. He also told us that they have really sharp claws. One day one of the traps fired off and my little brother ran over and pulled it out of the ground. There wriggling in the trap was this mole. He took it to the patio and let it out. The mole made a bid for freedom, back to the grass while he tried to stop it by pushing it back with his foot (wary of the claws). In the end he smashed its head in with a lump hammer - much more humane than letting it starve to death in a mole trap. Then the dog ate it. Nice!
    That's the problem with the mole traps in this country, far too weak to dispatch the moles and therefore inhumane IMO. My Dad hired a mole catcher once, was a lady and she used to import her traps from Holland. I used to go around the fields with her to show her where the little devils were. My Dad asked if we could buy some traps off her and from then on I did all the mole trapping. Had a quick search and you can see the traps here:
    http://www.frenchentree.com/france-d...e.asp?ID=13134

Much more effective. I used to get £5 a mole

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    We had moles in our garden once and my dad set traps for them. He told us how the traps worked, often not killing it and just holding it there until it just died through lack of food etc. He also told us that they have really sharp claws. One day one of the traps fired off and my little brother ran over and pulled it out of the ground. There wriggling in the trap was this mole. He took it to the patio and let it out. The mole made a bid for freedom, back to the grass while he tried to stop it by pushing it back with his foot (wary of the claws). In the end he smashed its head in with a lump hammer - much more humane than letting it starve to death in a mole trap. Then the dog ate it. Nice!

Absolute class.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Burn down the garage, wait outside with a cricket bat, when the mice run out, beat them to death with the bat, simple yet effective

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    If it's your garage, why not lay a big metal sheet down, covering the whole floor, which you can periodically zap with large amounts of electricity. That should get the squeaky little ferkers
    Combine that with an audit from the new housing inspector teams with their "Snooper's Charter" and you can kill 2 types of vermin in one go.

It's called "Pest Control Efficiency".

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    If it's your garage, why not lay a big metal sheet down, covering the whole floor, which you can periodically zap with large amounts of elctricity. That should get the squeaky little ferkers

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Death is one thing but any animal cruelty I just cannot stand - even if by accident.
    I love this bit about "humane" mousetraps.

It is important to release the mouse promptly – as mice can die from stress or dehydration – and at some distance, as mice have a strong homing instinct. Survival after release is not guaranteed, since house mice will tend to seek out human buildings, where they might encounter lethal mousetraps. In the wild, house mice are very poor competitors, and cannot survive away from human settlements in areas where other small mammals, such as wood mice, are present.

So, I'm sticking with the traditional traps. Fast and effective.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    This is possibly your answer

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0...r:Pratchett&lr=

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    my boss at clientco told me a terrible story. He tried to kill a mouse by snapping its neck but ended up just pulling the fur off(is this possible?). He says it was an accident. not sure if he is winding me up?

Anyway says he killed it with a spade moments later. I still think, if true, it is very cruel. Death is one thing but any animal cruelty I just cannot stand - even if by accident.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Use a classic springloaded bar mousetrap with chocolate or peanut butter bait. On each of the two occasions where we've had mice problems (different houses), this has been extremely effective, and we've had no re-occurence.

Forget poison, forget "humane". Snap the vermin.
    Failing that, nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Originally posted by poser View Post
    sit in your garage armed with an AK47 and night vision goggles an wait for the rodent barstewards to arrive... then do a tackleberry on them!

or is that extreme?
    This is not far off. Some lovely heavy metal soundtrack so if you have speakers you may want to turn the sound down. Lots of video of rats getting shot with air rifle and infra-red scope, if you don't like it don't click the link:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=deMYhq3YvEE

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    PPS You mole/mouse murdering lot above are all BASTARDS.
    Nope, my parents were married before they had me. Nothing wrong with kicking the ass of vermin I blame Walt Disney for your limp wristed attitude to pest control.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X