• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My biggest fear for UK."

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Also know of a palace for £60k

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    http://www.findaruin.com/index.php?o...=336&Itemid=38

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Password is too complex to decrypt

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Anyone been to the coast lately? There's no evidence of even a 5 inch rise in the sea-level. Sorry, but I think we've all been had.

try going at High Tide instead of Low Tide

HTH

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Troll,

I already said, it must a dolls house innit

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Blimey ...Baxi duo-tec HE 33 boiler! that must be a small house

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    crikey, 3600 quid for a kitchen, that's a lot of money must be a nice one

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Anyone been to the coast lately? There's no evidence of even a 5 inch rise in the sea-level. Sorry, but I think we've all been had.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Rising tides are not the only problem, the weight of all you migrants to the UK will cause the land mass to sink further and the UK will disappear completely by 2093.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    It sounds like you paid too much, I mean, 1400 for a kitchen, whatever were you thinking ?

Milan.
    Better than the proper price of £3,600

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    It sounds like you paid too much, I mean, 1400 for a kitchen, whatever were you thinking ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Diver,

'floor timbers were all rotten and I've had to replace the lot.
    Roof had asbestos tiles, having to reroof it.
    Rewire it.
    re-plumb it
    Fit central heating
    hack off walls damp proof and re-plaster
    replace all the skirting boards
    Replace kitchen
    replace bathroom.
    cost me nearly twenty grand so far and I haven't even decorated yet, let alone moved in ',

New

you did _all that_ for twenty grand ?

Is it a dolls house ?

Milan.
    I have trade accounts and 7 staff who I rotate to work at the house.
    Whole family is in the building business as well.
    Full Central heating installation with Baxi duo-tec HE 33 boiler £2,500.
    Full rewire £1,100
    Floor £340 for weyroc flooring and joists, self fitted.
    New Roof £2,800
    New Ceilings £260
    New skirting, Don't know yet (materials only anyway)
    Plastering £200
    Kitchen £1,400
    Bathroom £330
    Tiling £700
    Lights and ceiling fans for whole house £280
    Parquet flooring and Adhesive £440
    Decorating, not finished so don't know.
    Plumbing - in with the CH installation
    All the rest is small stuff

Being a Reasonable Bricky, A good plasterer, an excellent carpenter and being owed a lot of favors, means that I can do the job for 1/2 the price that you lot can

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    We live on the levels in WSM, in the newish developments round Worle... didn't have any problems in last Summer's deluge.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Mind you we live in the levels, so if you get wet over WSM way it's a fair bet we'll be rather wettert given we are about 30 feet lower.
    I live on the hill... may need a dinghy to get to Sainsbury's but other than that my feet will be dry.

My dad lives in rural Spain and recent heavy rains there brought down some of the Moorish dry stone walls that surround his property, due to historical significance the local council have spent 11,000 euros to get them put back exactly as they were, I would imagine our councils would be equally insistent… except for paying the bill.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Hmm too expensive to build on but fit to graze donkeys? Up and down the country it was no coincidence that a majority of houses we saw flooded were new or fairly recent builds. I guess it is expensive to build on marshland but when you have nowhere else and rising property prices make it irresistible… sod em’.
    My point wasn't that it is a good thing to build on flood plain. Merely that the blame for it lies with central government to a large extent. It is their policy which effectively forces the building on flood plain (although without huge changes to planning policy it isn't going to change anytime soon).

Whilst the development round Locking is at risk from flood it is "only" at risk from "extreme flood". Hutton Moor and through to Uphill are at much greater risk - and there has been little development there in the last 20 or so years. However the area south of the "new" dual carrigeway has been freed up for certain industrial uses in the last 10 years. I guess it is inevitible that some of it will get released for residential development, and that will get wet sooner or later.

Mind you we live in the levels, so if you get wet over WSM way it's a fair bet we'll be rather wettert given we are about 30 feet lower.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X