• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sunday Times magazine article on Mckanns"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    God rest his sole!
    (Well, he was fishy!)
    Mods! Ban 'im again!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Do you mean Chico?
    God rest his sole!
    (Well, he was fishy!)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You are the atheistic equivalent of those christians who bring "Our Lord" into every conversation no matter what the subject.

Do you mean Chico?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    They are religious. In my book that makes them nutters.
    You are the atheistic equivalent of those christians who bring "Our Lord" into every conversation no matter what the subject.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I get your point about "grabbing the tiger by the tail".
    My real issue with the whole case is how people have assumed they were guilty based on their "unemotional" behaviour and other silly intangibles.
    Absolutely agree. I belive the girl was kidnapped. I think I would behave in same way as parents. In stressful situations I do hat needs to be done - what makes me stressed is washing my socks and finding they are not in pairs!

But then if they are going to be tried by sun readers, what should we expect. WE should bring in the Telegraph readers (DodgyAgent? ) for some real sense.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Having a CCTV camera inside house sounds like a good and cheap idea.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I would prefer to leave the checking of kids aside - I know some are not as strict as me. But as I didn't see my kids for 6 months - and only see them 4 days a week now - I tend to be stricter than some.

As for the innuendo and smears - did you see my NTL thread? I found an amusing NTL letter and passed it off as my own(started it today or yesterday) . I got people getting really shirty with me. Cos I claimed it as my own. Most of the press is about lying - their only aim is to sell more papers.

My point is that the McCanns grabbed the tiger by the tail - with predictable results. I saw the same with f4j - you can control the press for a while - but they bite you on the bum in the end.

I still hope the girl is alive.
    I get your point about "grabbing the tiger by the tail".
    My real issue with the whole case is how people have assumed they were guilty based on their "unemotional" behaviour and other silly intangibles.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Sorry I should have posted the link. Thanks Clippy.
    Regarding the leaving of the kids, I think you're being a little harsh. Kidnapping of toddlers is actually very rare indeed and checking on them every half hour seems not unjustified to me. Either way whatever your views on the rights or wrongs of that, they still do no deserve all the innuendo and smears that has come their way. And they have paid the ultimate price.
    I would prefer to leave the checking of kids aside - I know some are not as strict as me. But as I didn't see my kids for 6 months - and only see them 4 days a week now - I tend to be stricter than some.

As for the innuendo and smears - did you see my NTL thread? I found an amusing NTL letter and passed it off as my own(started it today or yesterday) . I got people getting really shirty with me. Cos I claimed it as my own. Most of the press is about lying - their only aim is to sell more papers.

My point is that the McCanns grabbed the tiger by the tail - with predictable results. I saw the same with f4j - you can control the press for a while - but they bite you on the bum in the end.

I still hope the girl is alive.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Clippy - thanks for the link.

I got as far as this bit :-

"As the McCanns endlessly repeated afterwards, if they had thought it was wrong or even risky, they would never have left their children. With hindsight, of course, they would never have done it and now they are riven with guilt, but we can all be wise after the event, and so many of us have taken similar chances at times, in search of a bit of respite from our children."

This is just so wrong. It destroys any credibility the article has/had. I have never left my children and never will. I would eaither eat in a restaurant at 6pm with the kids(so can have them in bed at 7pm). Or eat at home.
    Sorry I should have posted the link. Thanks Clippy.
    Regarding the leaving of the kids, I think you're being a little harsh. Kidnapping of toddlers is actually very rare indeed and checking on them every half hour seems not unjustified to me. Either way whatever your views on the rights or wrongs of that, they still do no deserve all the innuendo and smears that has come their way. And they have paid the ultimate price.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Clippy - thanks for the link.

I got as far as this bit :-

"As the McCanns endlessly repeated afterwards, if they had thought it was wrong or even risky, they would never have left their children. With hindsight, of course, they would never have done it and now they are riven with guilt, but we can all be wise after the event, and so many of us have taken similar chances at times, in search of a bit of respite from our children."

This is just so wrong. It destroys any credibility the article has/had. I have never left my children and never will. I would eaither eat in a restaurant at 6pm with the kids(so can have them in bed at 7pm). Or eat at home.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Times article

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Is there a link to this article?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Yes, except I;ve got a couple of them work permits and we're working here at the moment.
    It is commendable that you got a few (presumably good) people out of there

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Yes, except I;ve got a couple of them work permits and we're working here at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    ASB, are you still helping out the fascists in Russia?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X