• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "relocate to Leicester"

Collapse

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by ruth11 View Post
    Price will all depend on whether you go for Really Nice or just Nice!
    Dont move to Rothley unless you want to be near people who allegedly ate their own child. Then spent some money on their mortgage.

Plus I am against Rothley as an old girlfriend used to live there. Nice n*rks but turned out to be a real fruit loop....I mean serious fruit loop.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by ruth11 View Post
    If you want lovely leafy suburb that's still walkable from town (and have a lot of money to spend on a house), Stoneygate can't be beaten, i

Narborough is nice, you can go for old style village or newish estate houses and it's very close to Fosse Park and J21 of M1.
    Agreed and Agreed.

I looked at moving to Stoneygate - still might. Just think that people command a little too much plus its the wrong side of Leicester for me.

Narborough is good...I live "close" to there. There is also a few small villages around there which are excellent.

If you want good access then I suggest Anstey. 2 mins from the A46, 5 mins from the M1 J 21A or M1 J22. Right by the A50 - for centre of Leicester.

I did look at buying there then the muppets (DHL) cancelled my contract and as it was my second ever felt it was better to get another before continuing with the purchase. Then some mug bought it for £160k and is still trying to sell it for £175k after having it on the market for £185k at one point.

Plus there are some really nice new build and older houses in Anstey - has decent amenities large co-op etc. 5 mins to Beaumont Leys....which is only good if you want to tour the Walkers crisps factory or shop at a massive Tesco.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Live in Prague and commute by fighter jet. I do.

Craig Colclough

Leave a comment:

• ruth11
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Oi! I live in Leicester.

Really Nice Places: Agreed on all counts
    Newtown Linford (small village next to bradgate park)
    Gilmorton
    Bruntingthorpe
    Bitteswell
    Would add:
    Stoneygate
    Quorn
    Cropston
    Rothley (essentially anywhere over that way!)

Nice Places:
    Anstey (next to newtown linford)
    Ratby (really good for the M1) Not especially nice though
    Thurmaston Again, I would not say it's that nice
    Countesthorpe agreed
    Would add:
    Evington
    Oadby
    Narborough and surrounding villages

Avoid:
    Mountsorrel Why?
    Beaumont Leys agreed
    Anstey Heights (essentially Beaumont Leys) agreed
    Would add:
    Eyres Monsell
    Highfields
    Saffron Lane (although Aylestone Road is Ok)

As for price you'll probably get a nice 3 bed semi for £180,000.
    Price will all depend on whether you go for Really Nice or just Nice!

Leave a comment:

• ruth11
    replied
    I'm from Leicester too.
    Kinda depends where in Leicester you're gonna be working - some parts are difficult to get to cos the ring road is rubbish.

I would agree with Sockpuppet, ignore all others! None of the places mentioned outside of Sockpuppet's post are within 20 mins of city centre.

If you want lovely leafy suburb that's still walkable from town (and have a lot of money to spend on a house), Stoneygate can't be beaten, it's probably my favourite place in Leicestershire that isn't out in the countryside (there are lots of nice country villages around and about). But be careful you're not in Highfields (right next door!) by accident!

Narborough is nice, you can go for old style village or newish estate houses and it's very close to Fosse Park and J21 of M1.

But like I say, kinda depends where you'll be working.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by aj1977 View Post
    Cheers Sockpuppet..Of course I don't want to live right in the middle of the city nor in the middle of no where 2 border collies and an open fireplace.
    Prefer a outskirt with close links to city/town and an excellent access to motorways/stations....
    There's always Sutton Bonington, West Leake, Normanton on Soar - all are, pretty much, 10 (max) mins from M1 jct24 and 6 miles from Loughborough Train Station (Leics is 10 mins down the line).

In fairness, these are all a little 'Country', which may not be your thing. But they are close enough to things to be useful and far enough away to be far enough away, if you catch my drift.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    How about Edinbrough. Voted No 1 by channel 4 and they have some interesting tourist attractions. See here

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Live in Prague and commute by fighter jet. I do.

Craig Colclough
    Last edited by beaker; 14 December 2007, 22:14. Reason: Added "I do." to the end of the sentence in an attempt to make it more likely to draw a laugh, even though I won't ever know

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    However.

It really does depend what you want and your lifestyle. Do you want "city living" or something in the middle of no where 2 border collies and an open fireplace.
    Cheers Sockpuppet..Of course I don't want to live right in the middle of the city nor in the middle of no where 2 border collies and an open fireplace.
    Prefer a outskirt with close links to city/town and an excellent access to motorways/stations....

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    However.

It really does depend what you want and your lifestyle. Do you want "city living" or something in the middle of no where 2 border collies and an open fireplace.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Socketpuppet where art thou??
    Sorry it was a Friday ergo I leave the office at 3.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Bless you
    Oi! I live in Leicester.

Really Nice Places:
    Newtown Linford (small village next to bradgate park)
    Gilmorton
    Bruntingthorpe
    Bitteswell

Nice Places:
    Anstey (next to newtown linford)
    Ratby (really good for the M1)
    Thurmaston
    Countesthorpe

Avoid:
    Mounsorrel
    Beaumont Leys
    Anstey Heights (essentially Beaumont Leys)

As for price you'll probably get a nice 3 bed semi for £180,000.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Planning to relocate to leicester or some other nice east midlands area which is drivable/trainable to leicester(eg: Nuneaton)....any suggestions on the locality and house price range??

Cheers
    market Harborough is a much nicer area. They have proper villages there, and you never know you might bump into AtW sitting on a wall.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    Take no notice of the nasty horrible man.
    Me? Never.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied

I know I am a bit naive but can you guys help ..all i need is a decent enough place to buy a home and is in commutable distance (10-20 miles radius) of leicester ....

Socketpuppet where art thou??
    Take no notice of the nasty horrible man.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X