• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Scots very largely built the British Empire"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by larry View Post
    It was a Scotsman who laid the foundations for the business behomoth that is Hong Kong.
    Thank you.

Now this explorer is had enough of the North sea for 26 hours he'sbeen trying to cross it.

Hang on a mo is that a bit of land I see ahead? Let's call it Macdeen.

Day light! I can see day light!!!

Leave a comment:

• larry
    replied
    It was a Scotsman who laid the foundations for the business behomoth that is Hong Kong.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Does it cover the Darien episode?

or is it post union where you cannot (but no doubt you will) really claim sole ownership of anything outside the British label
    Nope, it covers it in a bit of detail....you should read the book, it may change that bigoted attitude you have...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    But we both know it isn't...
    There is a very good book, which, if you are interested makes some startling revelations, both good and bad for the Scots...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Scotlan...7283956&sr=1-1
    Does it cover the Darien episode?

or is it post union where you cannot (but no doubt you will) really claim sole ownership of anything outside the British label

Leave a comment:

• Chantho
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    My invoice is in the post...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../09/do0907.xml

Interesting reading, what happened to British greatness and how do we get it back again?
    Even if this is true, it is largely irrelevant as the big question is, as you hint at, "Who fL1cked up the British Empire" ??

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
    I thought the national anthem was "Things can only get better"

Every time someone mentions that song, I see Mandelson, Blair, Brown and especially Prescott on a victory rostrum somewhere jigging self-conciously to it to show how cool they were.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I thought the national anthem was "Things can only get better"

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    No, you wish it wasn't.

It is a bit of a dirge though.
    No, I don't wish it wasn't. I just don't think if fits the current situation...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    No, you wish it wasn't.

It is a bit of a dirge though.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    That's what it says on the label!
    There is a very good book, which, if you are interested makes some startling revelations, both good and bad for the Scots...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Scotlan...7283956&sr=1-1
    Last edited by daviejones; 10 December 2007, 10:56.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Because it isn't really a National Anthem?
    That's what it says on the label!

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Because it isn't really a National Anthem?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I wonder why we never sing the sixth verse of the National Anthem anymore?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Which translates to "St. Mary's Church" and "Golf Halt". Small wonder the Welsh never got to run the world, just taking short notes meant the destruction of several forests.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    We welsh named most of these places.
    We just gave them names that dumb foreigners could say, because they can't pronounce the welsh ones like

llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch or

Gorsafawddachaidraigodanheddogleddollonpenrhynareu rdraethceredigion
    Which translates to "St. Mary's Church" and "Golf Halt". Small wonder the Welsh never got to run the world, just taking short notes meant the destruction of several forests.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X