• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Data centre looted in multimillion pound overnight heist"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Diver - why did you drop 2 boxes in reception? Bit careless wasn't it...
    AtW said his KGB contacts didn't want those bits

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Apparently the stuff taken is worthless without the frame - the frame and memory go as a pair and are hand crafted.
    Wild speculation maybe, but a fully loaded pair of these would have weighed in at those kind of prices when new 5 years ago. Or some 64 CPU Suns, or some suitably large lumps of IBM iron.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Now I've got the gear, On with the plan to strip the bank accounts of all those suckers listed on the 2 disks I nicked off that courier
    Diver - why did you drop 2 boxes in reception? Bit careless wasn't it...

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Now I've got the gear, On with the plan to strip the bank accounts of all those suckers listed on the 2 disks I nicked off that courier

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    MI6 or CIA. Hang on, someone is knocking on the door, brb...
    I reckon some security guard told their mates that the stuff is worth millions. Which it cost to buy. But they haven't properly researched the fence.

Should have asked Accenture in...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So its not the KGB. But who is it?
    MI6 or CIA. Hang on, someone is knocking on the door, brb...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    If good folks of KGB knew exactly where and what large assets a particular person keeps in the West, they can easily convince that person that it will be in his best interests to share these assets with certain high positioned KGB people.

I am not suggesting that this raid is in any way KGB related - all I am saying is that recent activities of KGB has lead me to conclusion that they will gladly pay for this information millions because using this information will allow them to extract hundreds of millions from Russian citizens who may be on those hard disks.

Understand now?
    Most IB trades are with other IBs or hedge funds. If it was the KGB they would have picked a hedge fund with high net worth individuals. Security far less and, as you say, rich pickings.

So its not the KGB. But who is it?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    surely not! What would they do with it?
    If good folks of KGB knew exactly where and what large assets a particular person keeps in the West, they can easily convince that person that it will be in his best interests to share these assets with certain high positioned KGB people.

I am not suggesting that this raid is in any way KGB related - all I am saying is that recent activities of KGB has lead me to conclusion that they will gladly pay for this information millions because using this information will allow them to extract hundreds of millions from Russian citizens who may be on those hard disks.

Understand now?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    KGB will pay well for this information
    surely not! What would they do with it?

only posible thing I can think of is ripping apart the blades and selling the components - and I cant see them getting much back.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Are you protecting you or me?
    KGB will pay well for this information

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    You don't need to know this
    Are you protecting you or me?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    such as? how would they use it?
    You don't need to know this

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    There are bigger people who would love to have this kind of data.
    such as? how would they use it?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    There are bigger people who would love to have this kind of data.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Information about clients and amounts they deal with is worth a lot to certain people
    Only an IB/hedge fund would be interested in the positions of another IB. Traders are crooks but they are white collar criminals. Which is rarely caught and seldom convicted (except in the USA). No trader would get involved in anything blue collar.

The kit costs alot to buy but will be hard to fence.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X