• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Not All There....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Not All There...."

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    Eft he axode, hu ðære ðeode nama wære þe hi of comon. Him wæs geandwyrd, þæt hi Angle genemnode wæron. Þa cwæð he, "Rihtlice hi sind Angle gehatene, for ðan ðe hi engla wlite habbað, and swilcum gedafenað þæt hi on heofonum engla geferan beon."
    Shame diver spoilt it for me, though it wouldn't have taken me long, because I've seen it before.

Interesting how close it is to German. Geadnwyrd - beantwortet, Angle genemnode wæron - Engel genannt wurden.

The roots of modern English can also be seen. axode (pronounced askode) = asked. Þa cwæð he (tha quod he) - then quoth he - then he said.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by The Master View Post
    I think you've gone too far this time. Testing the limits of the profanity filter is a no-no.
    Double negative is positive, aye?

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    It was all "slice and heweth thy enemy until the blood floweth over and the entrails of the living spill forth for the hunting hounds to gorge upon".
    Isn't that Tesco's mission statement?

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Anglo-Saxon, now there was a proper language !

None of this poncing around with "strategically, the paradigm of the company vision is to exploit vertical markets", good god no.

It was all "slice and heweth thy enemy until the blood floweth over and the entrails of the living spill forth for the hunting hounds to gorge upon".

We've gone soft...

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    How did they spell 'norks'?
    I think you've gone too far this time. Testing the limits of the profanity filter is a no-no.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You're brave!!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    "Again he asked what might be the name of the people from which they came. It was answered to him that they were named Angles. Then he said, 'Rightly are they called Angles because they have the beauty of angels, and it is fitting that such as they should be angels' companions in heaven.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    started a topic Not All There....

Not All There....

...as you seem so keen on old English words, have a crack at this.

This is a bit of 10th century English.

Eft he axode, hu ðære ðeode nama wære þe hi of comon. Him wæs geandwyrd, þæt hi Angle genemnode wæron. Þa cwæð he, "Rihtlice hi sind Angle gehatene, for ðan ðe hi engla wlite habbað, and swilcum gedafenað þæt hi on heofonum engla geferan beon."

Working...
X