• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Religion - Would the world be better off without it."

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Does it even say that they are human?
    An eternity with 72 virgin Zeitghosts!!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I like religion. It keepsh me in whishky.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Be it a choice between the celulite shocker of someone who once apeared on Z list celebrity love island dancing jungle and some stories with some moral virtue I'd rather have the later
    Okay, I take it you don't like Z list celebrity love island dancing jungle and heat magazine, but they aren't the only choices!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    If you have no religion then you create a void and humans need something to fill the void. Religion creates a belief system that seeks to rationalize life i.e it does make sense and we all have a purpose in the great scheme of things When in reality life is a meaningless concept, we are randomly born into this world, we do our best to enjoy it while not really understanding what it is about, if it is indeed about anything. You take this away and the weak minded get confused.

It's no coincidence that the decline of religion has coincided with the rise of the cult of celebrity the lifestyle 'religons', and the 'cult of me' .Idiots are the new idols and Heat magazine is the new altar.

Be it a choice between the celulite shocker of someone who once apeared on Z list celebrity love island dancing jungle and some stories with some moral virtue I'd rather have the later
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 30 November 2007, 15:11.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Yes, it was almost a joke

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    You mean the real nutters are just in it for the prophet?
    That's f***ing good for a Friday afternoon!

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by BankingContractor View Post
    And then we tell our kids about the magical Tooth Fairy who leaves us money under the pillow.
    You mean it's not true?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    I always think the more hedonistic the benefits, the more crackpot the religion.
    You mean the real nutters are just in it for the prophet?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Does it even say that they are human?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    I always think the more hedonistic the benefits, the more crackpot the religion.

Like, 72 virgins? Or the one that promises escape on a spaceship when Earth is destroyed?
    Yeh, that 72 virgin thing. Doesn't say they are female

They could male ex cuk'ers

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied

Like, 72 virgins? Or the one that promises escape on a spaceship when Earth is destroyed?

Leave a comment:

• BankingContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Religion is just a question of who's got the best imaginary friend.
    Its not only religion. I mean we create a whole industry around Father Christmas and how he mysteriously comes down the chimney with our presents.

And then we tell our kids about the magical Tooth Fairy who leaves us money under the pillow.

And lets not mention the leprechauns at the bottom of the garden.

And we do all this by deliberately lying to our kids - at least the religious nuts think they're right, we just tell porkies. Why?

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I do occasionally still have "Better not just in case there is a god and he is paying attention moments" .. which stop me doing things I shouldnt.

I blame my mother sending me to the local Presbytarian Sunday School.. although I did get in trouble for claiming it was my birthday every second week just so I could get a chocolate.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    I think in today's world, we associate organised religion with bad things: -

terrorists
    priests abusing kids
    suicide pacts
    a pope that looks like satan

etc etc

But I still voted for option 2.
    A lot of people use their religion as a force of good to guide them through life - I respect that so much, and would never want that taken away from them.
    They use it to teach their kids a set of values, to live a righteous path. That's the common theme which is present throughout all religions, and why they should be protected.

It isn't the fault of religion that the world is in so much turmoil. It is those people who try and force their opinions on everyone else saying "if you don't believe in what I believe in then you don't deserve to live" - or some similar rubbish.
    If they didn't have religion to be aggressive about then they would find some other excuse to justify their view of their own "supremacy"

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Religion is just a question of who's got the best imaginary friend.
    I'm puzzled by statements such as this. How do you know? Presumably, atheists have no friends. Agnostics don't know if they have any friends.

Religion is a prime motivator to do good things, as well as bad, so perhaps if there was no religion the world would contain the same amount of evil.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X