• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IT Consultant of the Year"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You've worked at EDS haven't you? Admit it.
    About the only one I've not worked for. Can't wait !

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Is it not more usually the case that the plumbing "consultant" gets into your house while you have a perfectly OK boiler with years of life left in it. They then convince you to change your boiler and give you a quote for £500, then gradually bring in an army of builders and take a few years ripping your house apart. Eventually you wise up, kick them out and they leave you with no working boiler, no roof on and a bill for £5 million.
    You've worked at EDS haven't you? Admit it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Is it not more usually the case that the plumbing "consultant" gets into your house while you have a perfectly OK boiler with years of life left in it. They then convince you to change your boiler and give you a quote for £500, then gradually bring in an army of builders and take a few years ripping your house apart. Eventually you wise up, kick them out and they leave you with no working boiler, no roof on and a bill for £5 million.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    You sit, tired and cold with your broken boiler wondering how you are going to pay for Christmas.

It’s clear that a progressive neutral model implementing a coherent open boiler system with assymetric contingency (and optional tangibles) provides an effective enterprise-wide multi-pronged benefit that you seek.

The value of such a multi-channelled impactful implementation is not to be underestimated. It’s clear that an organized fresh thinking approach, and of course sharable zero administration support function-based uniform capability, enables a fully customisable value-added boiler installation. Let us combine the stand-alone dedicated function with total directional strategy and welcome in this new paradigm in self-enabling logistical plumbing implementation.

i.e. do it yourself.

Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    Here's the difference explained in terms of plumbers

The plumber.

Comes to you house. Identifies the fault with your boiler, suggests a repair. Fixes the fault, services the system, charges £350 and leaves. You are happy in a warm home.

The plumbing "consultant"

Arrives in a sharp suit. Has 3 hour meeting with you discussing synergies with your lighting, how your carpets could generate warmer feet if upgraded and how the industry is moving towards thinner pipes.

Creates a detailed report on the future of condensing boilers and presents this to your family. Thanks you all and leaves at 7.00pm after handing you a bill for £2500.

You sit, tired and cold with your broken boiler wondering how you are going to pay for Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Here's the difference explained in terms of plumbers

The plumber.

Comes to you house. Identifies the fault with your boiler, suggests a repair. Fixes the fault, services the system, charges £350 and leaves. You are happy in a warm home.

The plumbing "consultant"

Arrives in a sharp suit. Has 3 hour meeting with you discussing synergies with your lighting, how your carpets could generate warmer feet if upgraded and how the industry is moving towards thinner pipes.

Creates a detailed report on the future of condensing boilers and presents this to your family. Thanks you all and leaves at 7.00pm after handing you a bill for £2500.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    I always thought the main difference between consultants + contractors was the width of their ties and their suits.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Please feel free to do so. £500 per PM. Send me your address for invoicing.
    Check your Inbox. I have set aside a budget of £5K for Business Development. If I try really hard I may become a real business.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You obviously have your finger on the pulse ! Is it OK if I PM you for advice on how to power my business forward ?
    Please feel free to do so. £500 per PM. Send me your address for invoicing.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It's clear that most of you are just techies and don't run real businesses. What a shame.
    Things are going to be tough next year for those of you who don't take his advice.

HTH
    You obviously have your finger on the pulse ! Is it OK if I PM you for advice on how to power my business forward ?

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    It's clear that most of you are just techies and don't run real businesses. What a shame.
    Things are going to be tough next year for those of you who don't take his advice.
    Oh dear... you think we cant spout the same old balls at the client? I am the king of telling the client what they want to hear, and setting the agenda early so I am set to look good. Its an essential skill as a contractor, its not how good you are at the work, its how good you appear to be at the work.

But this guy is talking out of his ass.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    What a load of pathetic old balls. Real IT contractors turn up, fiddle about randomly with some cody thing for 12 months and escape to the next sucker before their total pointlessness is discovered.
    Couldn't of put it better myself.

One suggested change to the article,

"the shrewd IT contractor knows the traditional practice of showing interest only in their specific duty is ever more important and to be followed at all times"

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    What an up his own arse, hateful <removed : Oh Dear>!
    I can see an image of this dick-wipe building up in my mind as a meld of all the arsehole consultants I've ever had to work with.

Last edited by ferret : Today at 01:48. Reason: Excessive use of the C word
    what... consultant?

Is it a temp or permie ban?

Leave a comment:

• WindyAnna
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    It's about time you people started eating some reality sandwiches and get your ducks in a row. Perhaps we can then think about parking our cars in the same garage.

And remember, we don't want to wind ourselves round the axle on this.
    I'm scuba diving in your think tank!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X