• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Renting agent not returning rent deposit."

Collapse

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I had an landlord tell me that he wasn't returning our bond (all £600 of it) as the back garden grass hadn't been cut.

We still has a week in the property so just did well over £1000 worth of damage to it.

Well we were students in our last year. He was also the arse that said we were not allowed to stay in the property over the summer as we were only paying "half rent"....wtf. Half or full rent I expect to be able to stay in it.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    The Agent has broken the law by using the deposit as his own money!

FFS!

Leave a comment:

• M_B
    replied
    I have been through this process when a landlord refused to return the deposit after falsely claiming I had damaged his flat. It is relatively straight forward although it does take time.

Initially write a letter stating the amount owed. State that if he has trouble repaying the deposit that you will consider a structured repayment plan. Don't be confrontational, but state that if no reply or acceptance is received then you'll be forced to go through the small claims court as much as you don't want to go down that route etc etc.

Send all correspondence recorded delivery and keep copies of everything (and receipts).

As for the small claims court you will win so don't be afraid. Just takes time thats all. You will be entitled to the deposit + interest + expenses of getting to the court.

Worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I got stung for a £1000 deposit a couple of years ago - swore I'd never rent again.

There's **** all you can do about it. Send him a letter and hope he pays, but accept that he probably wont.
    Last edited by SallyAnne; 27 November 2007, 11:01.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You may not end up going to court normally the threat of it makes people pay up especially if you remember to put "I will pay you when I get my loan" with the date in the letter.

I've only ever had 2 landlords - well an agent and a landlord- try that on me.

The agent paid up when I threatened them with the landlord. The agent tried to accuse me of not paying the bills even when they had seen them all.

The second landlord paid up after they received the court documents. They even put in a defence claiming I had done loads of damage. I knew the landlord was trying to get me to cover their void period as I found out that they had tried to dodge paying council tax before during a void period. However due to my document keeping habits I would have shown in court they had a strange grasp on reality.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    If you have a tenancy agreement then you will find that what the agent has done is in fact illegal.

Forget the bollocks about him being short of cash, that's not your problem!

If it was you that owed him, he'd be all over you like the plague - In the worst of cases you'd be losing a finger a week!

Get the little sod sorted, fast!
    This what pisses me off. What kind of an answer is “you will get your money once I get my loan” . My money was never his personal to spend in the first place..

Plus if have to take 2 or more days off my contract to attend court sessions - I will have gained nothing in the end. ( well besides some experience in the court system

Hoping my letter will be frightening enough...
    Last edited by 2uk; 26 November 2007, 20:09.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    I've rented several times and always got my deposit back. The problem here is that the agent/student needed money and used the tenant's deposit.
    If you have a tenancy agreement then you will find that what the agent has done is in fact illegal.

Forget the bollocks about him being short of cash, that's not your problem!

If it was you that owed him, he'd be all over you like the plague - In the worst of cases you'd be losing a finger a week!

Get the little sod sorted, fast!

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    If student loans are still like they were when I was at Uni, he will get a payment 3 times a year with the next one bing early - mid january......

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    If his student loan is as regular as he says it is, you can get him to tell you when he'll have it. Arrange to meet him then, near a cashpoint if necessary, preferably one in a badly-lit sidestreet.

I do agree with the CCJ/legal route in principle but better a well-timed precise move to get your cash than a slow one that might leave him bankrupt and you still out of pocket.

Leave a comment:

• El_Diablo
    replied
    Give him one more working week, then a strongly worded letter. If this doesn't work then another letter saying you'll take him to the small claims court.

That way you have made reasonable attempts and given enough time to get you money back. Six hundred pound is six hundred pounds, it's yours.

El_Diablo

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Another docked me £35 for not returning a plastic bag with the washing machine instructions in.

This is cause for some extreme retribution.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Never had any problems with landlords. Sort of places I stay they are usually grateful to have somebody who is not on hard drugs.

Agree with threaded on letting agents, they make up any sort of excuse to retain your money. One said I had not returned the keys although I had posted them through letter box on leaving. Another docked me £35 for not returning a plastic bag with the washing machine instructions in.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I factor in the deposit as part of the rental agreement. I've found that nowadays they always find some excuse not to give it back. Scumbags.
    I've rented several times and always got my deposit back. The problem here is that the agent/student needed money and used the tenant's deposit.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I factor in the deposit as part of the rental agreement. I've found that nowadays they always find some excuse not to give it back. Scumbags.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    You will find forms online for small claims court. You do have to show you have made all other reasonable efforts to get the money though, give him a few weeks and another letter maybe. I believe aTW is an expert in this very subject.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X