• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "British productivity"

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    ... So the question is, when did Britain become a nation of jobsworths? ...
    That wasn't jobsworthiness.

Circa 1993 I ordered a fridge/freezer from one of that lot: curry's / dixon's / whatever. Because I was in a 2nd floor flat, I paid the extra for it to be delivered and the old one taken away.

The delivery blokes were furious with me because nobody told them "Flat x, 2nd floor, X block" would be up some stairs.

They got the fridge/freezer up to the flat and went back to the van for some tools.

That was 14 years ago and I'm still waiting for them to come back.

You're confusing concern for H&S employee with bone idleness.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    DIY
    You are a contractor right?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost

There's a bathtub curve for reliability... they may last 5 to 8 years if you're very lucky, but then again, they can fail in 10 hours....

Like one of mine did.
    They are very dull when you turn them on too. Less than a candle I'd say. Taking a newspaper into the bog at night is a waste of time unless you warm it up first.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post

So the question is, when did Britain become a nation of jobsworths. When growing up, I'm sure service was better but I'm surprised the UK hasn't ground to a halt due to this attitude.
    Shortly before the Vikings noticed and therefore left the Island in disgust.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    We are after getting the loft converted. I arranged appointments with 4 builders for quotes on Wednesday and only 1 turned up. How's that for productivity?
    They say that a good builder is a busy builder so the one who turned up may be sh11te.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    We are after getting the loft converted. I arranged appointments with 4 builders for quotes on Wednesday and only 1 turned up. How's that for productivity?
    DIY

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    In an instant, he said, "No. Health and Safety."
    SKY were fixing a problem with my parents satellite dish the other day, but I arrived there too late to see what the workman had already done in the name of health and safety. He’d drilled a (approx 15mm) hole in the side of the garage wall into which he screwed a bolt to which he secured his ladder. It was a very modest height and OTT IMO.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by s2budd View Post
    I agree with one of the previous people.
    You went wrong when you bought one from Curry's.
    Try John Lewis next time. It might cost more but boy is it worth it and the installation service is first class.
    I thought John Lewis were never knowingly undersold?

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    I agree with one of the previous people.
    You went wrong when you bought one from Curry's.
    Try John Lewis next time. It might cost more but boy is it worth it and the installation service is first class.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    Why? Do the energy efficient ones not need changing ever?
    They apparently last 5 to 8 years.

I have not had mine that long to see if it's true.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    BTW with all sold light bulbs being energy efficient ones from 2011 soon kids will not be able to change a light bulb.
    Why? Do the energy efficient ones not need changing ever?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Well let’s just hope you never have to then, it's that sort of attitude that leads to complete lack of knowledge on things that were just common sense only a decade ago, in few years time people will be getting a man in to change the batteries in their sky remote.

I've been able to change plugs since I was about 11 and was taught how to. I am still old enough to remember applicances like kettles and irons being brought without plugs on them and having to put the plug on them myself as my parents used the excuse they were long sighted and couldn't see to get me to do it.

I was just pointing out that if a skill is little used i.e. changing a plug then people will not be taught how to do it.

BTW with all sold light bulbs being energy efficient ones from 2011 soon kids will not be able to change a light bulb.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    By switching off the appliance.

This assumes you leave it off 44% of the time.

HTH
    Ah I see, I must remember to switch the freezer off before I go to bed.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    By switching off the appliance.

This assumes you leave it off 44% of the time.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X