• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "According to FSB, 50% of small/med businesses have no web presence"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Bollox to the lot of ya.

I'm keeping my bloody quite frankly fantastic ideas to myself from now on.

Including the one where I spend the next 3 yrs creating a rival search engine to aTW's rival search engine to another rival search engine.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    I watched that, and I've been the using hungry house website for a while which is actually very good. But the buffoons seem to completely fail to mention the comments and ratings that user's leave for a restaurant, which is the whole selling point of the site!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I could even order my chinese/indian meal online and pay by credit card and have it delivered...
    Someone watched this week's Dragon's Den...

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    For example? What businesses won't benefit from having a website so they are found in Google and what products or services can't be paid for online?

Even an undertakers could do it all online.

I could even order my chinese/indian meal online and pay by credit card and have it delivered...
    I didn't say that they wouldn't benefit, I said that they didn't sell a shopping cart product.

Think of companies like yours and mine, we sell consultancy services. Even if we sold it in chunks of 2 hours, it still isn't suitable for selling by shopping cart. There are 1000s of companies that sell such services to other companies.

And even in the consumer space, the analogy would be a one man band cleaning service. If I ran such a service I wouldn't want to allow people to make bookings themselves, because I would want to optimise my travelling. A web site couldn't do this.

Then there are companies that sell stuff that requirs a complicated processes. How are you going to bundle that up into a web site?

Many of these companies would benefit from a web site, but they have no need for a dynamic booking service. They are not going to be interested in anything other than a one off feee and perhaps a ten quid a month hosting charge. And there are plenty of people offering this service at the moment.

tim

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Good idea, but no small business would pay £500 if it has a service which cannot be bought through a e-commerce website...Like the services I provide.

More like £10 a month for a presence...still, £10,000 is better than £0. Perhaps £100 for a couple of initial simple web pages. Additional for getting listed on Google and Yahoo. But no where near £500.

Plan B thwarted.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    You havent actually done anything yet... apart from tell everybody you are doing something.
    Happy talk, keep talkin' happy talk,
    Talk about things you'd like to do.
    You got to have a dream,
    If you don't have a dream
    How you gonna have a dream come true

It's AtW's personal anthem.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I would have done it again
    You havent actually done anything yet... apart from tell everybody you are doing something.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    These compaines without web presence don't sell "shopping-cart" products.

That's why they (think they) don't need a web presence.

tim
    For example? What businesses won't benefit from having a website so they are found in Google and what products or services can't be paid for online?

Even an undertakers could do it all online.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    They already have it in form of online Yellow pages - those who don't advertise there most likely would not need online presence at all.

This was yet another dim prawnic idea...

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Dragons Den style numbers.

£500 per month for each customer for basic service giving them a hosted content management system/shop front/shopping cart, some SEO work and a bit of training.
    These compaines without web presence don't sell "shopping-cart" products.

tim

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Birmingham?
    I like Birmingham.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I would have done it again if I knew where I would be today
    Birmingham?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    Allegedly. ahem.
    It'd be a hell of a story if it was true...

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Didn't that bloke who set up the PCG website get £500k for "web services"?
    Allegedly. ahem.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    £500K per month without selling them support or upgrades or other add-ons such as full SEO services.
    Didn't that bloke who set up the PCG website get £500k for "web services"?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X