• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "City bankers doomed"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Wrong. It will happen in your lifetime.
    HTH

won't

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    HTH
    Teleporters will do for them. Threaded is waiting for the right moment to file his patent.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    . You won't see however disappearance of car industry in the USA.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Ok, let's have your one-sentence judgements on these fine companies

Aston Martin

Jaguar

Land Rover

There are also several foreign companies manufacturing cars in the UK to UK & European specifications. Most of this lot are here because of the tax incentives the government gave them to locate here.
    Fine marques indeed, but low output. The combined contribution of our car businesses to the GNP is very small, compared with other leading nations, and that was AtW's original point - manufacturing is a smaller part of our GNP than many think it should be.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Yes they lose money and they will have to cut jobs and probably sell less, but more expensive cars. You won't see however disappearance of car industry in the USA.
    The reason for attempting to preserve the car industry in the UK was to provide jobs in failing industrial regions when we had mass unemployment. We are now importing people to fill jobs. Is there any point propping up a loss making car industry, I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    From what I've read the big US car makers are losing a fortune and there is a decent chance they'll go bust at some stage.
    Yes they lose money and they will have to cut jobs and probably sell less, but more expensive cars. You won't see however disappearance of car industry in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Northern Rock is the exception that proves the rule.
    The main issue here is not the bailout, but the fact that the City does not make anything - it is all financial speculation that might generate profits in short term, but fundamentally it is insane to depend on it - the City should be icing on a cake of very good industry, even if it is something like Silicon Valley, but not the main focus of pride.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Now stick to feeding squirrels, before you make an arse of yourself.
    BEFORE????

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Aston Martin
    Acceptable - but sales are very low in terms of numbers, this can't feed many people as it is exclusive brand, fundamentally the market is very limited.

Jaguar
    Candidate for disapperance I say, already shares too many parts with Mondeo.

Land Rover
    Good cars, but heavily dependant on Ford.

It's not just cars - look at train network and compare it with that in Germany and France: standard ticket to London in the morning costs ridiculous amounts of money, recent trains (not being replaced) required you to open window, bend over to open it from the outside, I mean ffs, when I first tried that it was really crazy. New trains are nice though, but network speed is nowhere as developed as in Germany, capacity is lacking.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I am not talking about you, but the City.
    The City is never bailed out. Northern Rock is the exception that proves the rule. Now stick to feeding squirrels, before you make an arse of yourself.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Cars analogy is valid in my view, considering how successful Japanese, German, French, Italian, American cars are.
    From what I've read the big US car makers are losing a fortune and there is a decent chance they'll go bust at some stage.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    TVR has gone bust.

Morgan and Caterham make the kind of kit cars that are more appropriate for 1907 than 2007. Some crazy people do buy them, but this market is very small.

Lotus - ok, some cars are nice. I think they don't make their own engines, that's big part of a car.

You forgot Noble - good cars, engines are not theirs though, but fine.

Now compare these companies with Porsche: a lot more cars they make, and expensive too, but people buy them.
    Ok, let's have your one-sentence judgements on these fine companies

Aston Martin

Jaguar

Land Rover

There are also several foreign companies manufacturing cars in the UK to UK & European specifications. Most of this lot are here because of the tax incentives the government gave them to locate here.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No government has ever bailed ME out.
    I am not talking about you, but the City.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Like bail you out when you screw up? That did not happen to Rover.
    No government has ever bailed ME out.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Pray tell, how does it do that?
    This should be interesting
    Like bail you out when you screw up? That did not happen to Rover.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X