• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Racist Hairdresser Sued"

Collapse

• shelby68
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Women rarely go in for passing trade. (I'm one so I know.)

I've also gone up to women I seen in the street and asked them where they got their hair done.

Bye I'm off.
    sounds more like a lesbian pick up line ot me....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    So who is picking up the bill for this woman who is suing if she cannot even get a job as a hairdresser? Oh, oh, hang on a minute, let me geuss.
    Actually she is likely to be using a no-win no-fee solicitor who wants to make a name for themselves. Most cases that seem to be in the papers have solicitor involvement.

If she wins or more likely settles, the solicitor gets a massive chunk of her compensation. If she takes it to the full hearing and loses the solicitor gets nothing.

What the taxpayer pays for is the administration that goes into trying to get the parties to settle.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    both sides pay for their own lawyers whether they win or lose.
    So who is picking up the bill for this woman who is suing if she cannot even get a job as a hairdresser? Oh, oh, hang on a minute, let me geuss.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Sounds like hiring illegal immigrants is a lot cheaper...
    And probably better qualified.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Sounds like hiring illegal immigrants is a lot cheaper...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post

In this world it's first impressions that count and image it about 90% of that first impression and the impression that a woman who never shows her hair in public is not one that many people would view as favorable for a salon
    It makes no difference now as the salon owner has now lost lots of money whether the case goes to a full tribunal hearing or not.

I spoke to someone who runs a small business who also employs non-family members. An ex-employer of theirs submitted an employment tribunal claim and they were told to settle as it was cheaper. Fighting it would cost them approximately £40,000 in solicitors fees if it went to a full hearing. In a tribunal except in rare cases, both sides pay for their own lawyers whether they win or lose.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    And obviously you're too chicken to walk into work in jean and a t-shirt. Try it...nobody will give a damn..except maybe some stuck up stiff-upper-lip still living-in-the-Empire type. Time to loosen up people!
    Actually that is what i am wearing atm, because that is in line with the (unwritten) guidelines of the client i am currently contracting with, but when we have meetings with clients (be that internal or external) it's a suit and tie day

In this world it's first impressions that count and image it about 90% of that first impression and the impression that a woman who never shows her hair in public is not one that many people would view as favorable for a salon

Sad? Yes
    Superficial? Yes
    Real fact of life? Yes

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
    People might not say anything to your face, but they will certainly say things to each other.

Then when it comes round for renewals, or if one of them ends up interviewing you elsewhere in later life, you will be rememberd as "the scruffy one" at best, or even worse "the one who didn't adhere to company policy"
    Gosh its tough out there in UK land. I've been renewed so many times - I've been here longer than the permies. ha ha

My thrust is that the ENTIRE COUNTRY needs to loosen up. Not just me.. I'm already loose.

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    Oh but perhaps they do need her! And obviously you're too chicken to walk into work in jean and a t-shirt. Try it...nobody will give a damn..except maybe some stuck up stiff-upper-lip still living-in-the-Empire type. Time to loosen up people!
    People might not say anything to your face, but they will certainly say things to each other.

Then when it comes round for renewals, or if one of them ends up interviewing you elsewhere in later life, you will be rememberd as "the scruffy one" at best, or even worse "the one who didn't adhere to company policy"

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    And obviously you're too chicken to walk into work in jean and a t-shirt. Try it...nobody will give a damn..except maybe some stuck up stiff-upper-lip still living-in-the-Empire type. Time to loosen up people!
    Trousers and Shirt (with tie) is the safest bet.

T-shirt and jeans, those who know you won't care, those who don't know you might think less. Why take the risk when income is involved?

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied

Like really how many people want to wear suit/tie? Few i would say but if we want to work in sectors that generally require it we do so, aka we compromise to persure our chosen professions/career's. This girl does not want to compromise, so i say **** her.

Her rights are not greaters than that of the buisness owners, actually if anything they are less because she needs them, they do not need her
    Oh but perhaps they do need her! And obviously you're too chicken to walk into work in jean and a t-shirt. Try it...nobody will give a damn..except maybe some stuck up stiff-upper-lip still living-in-the-Empire type. Time to loosen up people!

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    I'm afraid I don't understand what clothes a hairdresser chooses to wear (or not wear) has any affect on her ability and skill to cut hair. What if she was in a wheelchair but still could cut hair - would that also prevent her from getting a job? Seems pretty cut and dried here - the employer is in the wrong.
    It wasn't so much the clothes it was the fact that her hair was covered. The salon uses it's stylists appearance as an advert for its' skills. In the same way, you wouldn't expect to see jeans and T-shirts being worn by staff in a reputable gentlemans outfitters. It's the image.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    I'm afraid I don't understand what clothes a hairdresser chooses to wear (or not wear) has any affect on her ability and skill to cut hair.
    Simple answer is none.

But it's not a simple world, for the same reason one would not generally hire someone to run the a client facing department for a bank (or really in any part of the bank) if they had tatoos on their face, long hair and earrings and wore hippy/heavy metal clothes, this girl will not most likely not get hired as hairdresser in any normal salon because she does not present an image any normal salon would want representing them

Like really how many people want to wear suit/tie? Few i would say but if we want to work in sectors that generally require it we do so, aka we compromise to persure our chosen professions/career's. This girl does not want to compromise, so i say **** her.

Her rights are not greaters than that of the buisness owners, actually if anything they are less because she needs them, they do not need her

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied

This girl either needs to compromise her cultural beliefs (they are not religious beliefs) or find a new career because the people who will employ her are few and far between and the clients who would even give her that chance first time just as few
    I'm afraid I don't understand what clothes a hairdresser chooses to wear (or not wear) has any affect on her ability and skill to cut hair. What if she was in a wheelchair but still could cut hair - would that also prevent her from getting a job? Seems pretty cut and dried here - the employer is in the wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    My barber is almost totally bald and has taken to wearing a hat to keep his head warm/hide his baldness

He still knows how to cut hair though!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X