• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agencies - not as good as they used to be"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Possibly not. I recently spent two years with a client having originally signed up for three months. Somewhere around the 18 month mark, when dealing with the latest extension, the agent mentioned that he wasn't personally benefitting at all - he only received commission on my original three month contract, not on the extensions he'd had to deal with every two or three months since.
    I told my agent I wanted an increase before accepting an extension last week, and he kind of sighed and said in a defeatest tone "well I can ask". I figure if he can maintain the same percentage and get a higher rate then he's obviously going to earn more too.

He was however very keen to pursuade me to talk to him before looking at other roles, so maybe he does only make money out of the original contract too?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    You wouldnt get a job with one with your mouth covered up like that.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Agencies - not as good as they used to be

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I delegate that one

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Surely even agents draw the line somewhere?
    I delegate that one

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    giving you a BJ.
    Surely even agents draw the line somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    If the agent is making a fat buck out of you then it is likely that he will do all he can to secure your extension, from kidnapping your wife to giving you a BJ. If the agent isnt on a big whack then you need to take control yourself and familiarise yourself with the process. If the agent is on a big whack and you wish to reduce that whack then again take control by knowing how the system works.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I've never worked on a client site that would allow contractors to go direct.

Take the point about margin levels (the agency will see only see about 6% of this one) but surely processing renewals is the absolute cash cow for any agency? Surely better to ensure that end of the business is slick rather than throwing expenses at overley-gelled, cheap suited ex-meeja studies graduates to spend all day spamming 'references' or placing fake ads for the coldest of leads?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Also, why isn't my agency contact moving heaven and earth to get this sorted? Are they not on commission anymore?
    Possibly not. I recently spent two years with a client having originally signed up for three months. Somewhere around the 18 month mark, when dealing with the latest extension, the agent mentioned that he wasn't personally benefitting at all - he only received commission on my original three month contract, not on the extensions he'd had to deal with every two or three months since.

He still did his job in a professional manner and things ran smoothly, but your mileage is obviously varying

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Go through Jobserve, work out who the client is from the description, and approach them direct.

Not that I would so such a thing - I like dealing with most of the agents that I have dealt with.
    Presuming we are discussing there being no agents then:

You and 1000 others plus half the population of Delhi
    And who places the ad on jobserve?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    So how are you all going to find your contracts then?
    Go through Jobserve, work out who the client is from the description, and approach them direct.

Not that I would so such a thing - I like dealing with most of the agents that I have dealt with.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They find me.
    It must be a right pain for hiring managers to have to go around looking under so many stones to find you DP

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    They find me.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sounds like time to cut the agents out for good.

The only usefull service an agency provides is factoring, and there are companies out there that do this standalone.
    So how are you all going to find your contracts then?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    On my last contract i was direct, but then the client brought in a vendor management company to manage the agencies and direct suppliers. I had to pay them 3% of gross for the honour of getting paid a month later and they acted like they were doing me a favour.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X