• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Discovery of the day"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Have also tried the mice on the window and they don't work on glass with light coming through.
    You can do away with the mouse mat altogether with a laser pointer shone directly at the mouse’s light receiver, and can do so from some considerable distance. This is useful if you are a long way away from your PC or cannot afford a wireless mouse or a mousemat.

You need to be accurate though, and since I get mostly only vertical movements with this method, I have to revert to a mousemat or almost any other kind surface to hand at all for horizontal movements.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    It has hitherto lead an unremarkable existence as a minorly amusing nicknack that's never left my office since my son bought it for me. Now I have discovered it has powers, unbounded opportunities present themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    http://www.glowmat.com/

Get yours here.
    So Alf, is the advertising spiel true?
    "Once you have one, you will want to take it with you everywhere..."

Where's the most un-usual place you have taken your Glow Mat?

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    http://www.glowmat.com/

Get yours here.
    Last edited by Alf W; 5 November 2007, 15:29.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Now I know who stole my photon-slowing-device.

threaded

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    It has been checked and double checked as I've got two optical mice on the go at the moment and neither work. One's a full size one and one's a mini laptop one. They're both Microsoft ones though so I might need to widen the sample.

It must be something to do with the light coming back drowning out the reflected light from the mouse. Have also tried the mice on the window and they don't work on glass with light coming through.

Feck me I'm bored today!

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I have a luminous drinks mat on my desk at home and have just discovered that an optical mouse doesn't work on it when used as a mouse mat. How weird. Why's this then?
    Have you plugged it in?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I have a luminous drinks mat on my desk at home and have just discovered that an optical mouse doesn't work on it when used as a mouse mat. How weird. Why's this then?
    Because the ambient temperature has fallen drastically today, you have inadvertently created a Bose–Einstein condensate cloud under your mouse. Unfortunately, the mouse mat atoms have collapsed into the lowest quantum state of the external potential, at which point what you are seeing is the results of quantum effects on a larger scale in action.

Threaded

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    An optical mouse works by tracking the light reflection of the light produced by the mouse itself. The luminescence of the mat is probably drowning out the signal produced by the mouse so the reflection is lost in the general brightness that its' receptors are getting.
    Quite possibly.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    your mouse is upside down
    More likely.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It's the photons, they've phucked it!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    your mouse is upside down

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    An optical mouse works by tracking the light reflection of the light produced by the mouse itself. The luminescence of the mat is probably drowning out the signal produced by the mouse so the reflection is lost in the general brightness that its' receptors are getting.

Sorry - if I'm right I apologise for being so brainy so early in the morning. If I'm wrong then I retract my apology.
    Last edited by KathyWoolfe; 5 November 2007, 10:56.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You need service pack 3 for this to work. It is a hardware/driver fault.

Or switch to Linux.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    started a topic Discovery of the day

Discovery of the day

Working...
X