• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why are moths attracted to bright lights?"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Why do moths fly towards the light ?
    as with most things in the animal kingdom it comes down to reproduction.

Boy moth meets girl moth in a dark garden, boy moth says
    'hey baby, fancy a sh@g'
    girl moth 'you gotta be kidding, we only just met'
    boy moth 'come on , you know you want it'
    girl moth 'Like yeah. I dont even know what you look like. Come and step over into the light'

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    As a vegetarian, I take offence to that! Mind you, duck is fantastic! So's beef, lamb, pork, veal, pheasant, hare, rabbit... hmmm.
    I once swallowed a large moth.
    I was on a motorbike in the fast lane when it hit the back of my throat, it was swallow or choke.

They taste foul, trust me >shudder<

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I wouldn't mind ducks and pigeons flying round my light bulbs.
    Freezer would always be full
    As a vegetarian, I take offence to that! Mind you, duck is fantastic! So's beef, lamb, pork, veal, pheasant, hare, rabbit... hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I like you again.
    I wouldn't mind ducks and pigeons flying round my light bulbs.
    Freezer would always be full

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    dimwitted tramp's todger! <-- I may plagiarize that regularly

I left school at 14. I started working part time when I was 12. Didn't have much energy left over for school. But I do know why moths etc. are attracted to light, and the navigational abilities of birds fish, sea and land mammals and the current theories pertaining to these extraordinary abilities

I just thought my response was funny
    I like you again.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I went to school too, but didn't use the Moon. I sometimes navigate using the Moon in the car though.
    so that's where it goes to.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Because, dimwitted tramp's todger, they use landmarks, scent, temperature, and (it's thought) magnetic "pathways". Learnt that at school, too. Attending on Saturdays and Sundays has not paid dividends for you, has it?
    dimwitted tramp's todger! <-- I may plagiarize that regularly

I left school at 14. I started working part time when I was 12. Didn't have much energy left over for school. But I do know why moths etc. are attracted to light, and the navigational abilities of birds fish, sea and land mammals and the current theories pertaining to these extraordinary abilities

I just thought my response was funny

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Why don't ducks and pigeons do it then smartass?
    Because, dimwitted tramp's todger, they use landmarks, scent, temperature, and (it's thought) magnetic "pathways". Learnt that at school, too. Attending on Saturdays and Sundays has not paid dividends for you, has it?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    They use the moon to navigate. Other light sources are, to them, "the guiding light". They spiral around lights, and eventually hit them, as they are trying to keep the light at a certain angle to their flight path. I know all this because I went to school.
    I went to school too, but didn't use the Moon. I sometimes navigate using the Moon in the car though. Quite handily, if you trace a line going through the shadow of the Earth's eclipse on the Moon (I forget the common name of it) to ground , this is South. They don't teach this at school either.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    They use the moon to navigate. Other light sources are, to them, "the guiding light". They spiral around lights, and eventually hit them, as they are trying to keep the light at a certain angle to their flight path. I know all this because I went to school.
    Why don't ducks and pigeons do it then smartass?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    They think it's the way out of a big dark room.

Houseflies like circling lights that aren't even on.
    They are just waiting!

Devious ferkers

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    They think it's the way out of a big dark room.

Houseflies like circling lights that aren't even on.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Moths aren't attracted to light, they are simply scared of the dark.

HTH
    Or is it the heat???

See answer above, if they really are scared of the dark, then they'd get up during the day and sleep at night, but they prefer to be up during the dark... hence not scared of the dark, they love it, but they have this fatal attraction towards the light ...

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Moths aren't attracted to light, they are simply scared of the dark.

HTH
    Sorted

Leave a comment:

Working...
X