• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Don't read newspapers or watch the news"

Collapse

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    Did you forget IR35?
    Yes - aarrggggghhhh

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    I rely on you guys to filter the tidal wave of "news" into a trinklet of relevant stuff I should really care about.

I am very happy, but slightly worried about house proses and immigrants.
    Did you forget IR35?

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Reasons:

1. It'll only make you depressed.
    2. You can't do anything about it anyway
    3. Most of it is propaganda, lies and/or spin.

Live your life well, make your own judgements based on your personal experience, take care of family and friends and leave the loons (politicians, terrorists, fashionistas, trendies, political activitists, racists) to carry on with their idiocy. Chances are they won't make any difference anyway.

HTH
    I rely on you guys to filter the tidal wave of "news" into a trinklet of relevant stuff I should really care about.

I am very happy, but slightly worried about house proses and immigrants.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    something to do with German purity laws.
    Aye the Rheinheitsgebot (sp?) of the 17th century: only barley, malt and water allowed in beer (I think)

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Guinness is too strong for session drinking.
    Strange, must affect people differently. Perhaps it's psychological, if you've had good experiences with it (nice people in dublin bars) you don't associate it with getting pissed?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    the safest way to avoid a hangover is stick to beers which contain only water malt and hops and stick with the half litre bottles

even the same beers from the pump can give hangovers

at least from the bottle you know it is only water malt and hops

was in an interesting pub the other day in scandinavia and they had bottled Adnams Bitter - very nice and no hangover - as it contained only water malt and hops

stick with the German/Czech/Austrian beers and you will be ok.

Milan.
    I tend to by 24x bottles of Becks from Sainsbury’s when it's on offer, I can drink loads of that stuff without getting a hangover, something to do with German purity laws.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Does anyone brew their own beer or wine? My dad used to but I was too young to know if it tasted any good.

It might be the only way when prohibition starts.
    My dad does his own wine (thinking about it, he's probably over the 'personal use' scale), and I'm due to inherit the art as soon as I stop promising to help him out and start doing it. It's getting quite good actually - I can still see after two glasses. It's always been bloody strong. He also used to have a still running, but that's a bit riskier so I'm told. That stuff was truly lethal.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    the safest way to avoid a hangover is stick to beers which contain only water malt and hops and stick with the half litre bottles

even the same beers from the pump can give hangovers

at least from the bottle you know it is only water malt and hops

was in an interesting pub the other day in scandinavia and they had bottled Adnams Bitter - very nice and no hangover - as it contained only water malt and hops

stick with the German/Czech/Austrian beers and you will be ok.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Does anyone brew their own beer or wine? My dad used to but I was too young to know if it tasted any good.

It might be the only way when prohibition starts.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Halves are unacceptable full stop!!
    Exactly my point ! Disgraceful !

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Guinness is too strong for session drinking. Stella does seem to have an extra kick in there !? You need to get down to bitter at 3.8% or less or even better if you can handle the embarrasment ( and live Oop North ) then mild at almost unalcoholic strength is the way forward. Drinking halves in the form of bottles as the youth of today do is totally unacceptable when on a session.
    Halves are unacceptable full stop!!

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Guinness is a good session drink too.
    There must be a scary amount of bad chemicals in stella for it to have the effect it does, seeing it has the same alcohol content as Guinness.
    I can still actually drink about 10 pinst of Guiness and be OK. The same amount of stella and I'd be a gibbering wreck.
    Guinness is too strong for session drinking. Stella does seem to have an extra kick in there !? You need to get down to bitter at 3.8% or less or even better if you can handle the embarrasment ( and live Oop North ) then mild at almost unalcoholic strength is the way forward. Drinking halves in the form of bottles as the youth of today do is totally unacceptable when on a session.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Young Hustler

I'll check it out later!!
    It was the 20-1 outsider, and a great horse.

Unfortunately, you get some other websites instead of horse racing related ones.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    You'll only find Baggy's "Chase me, chase me" sites.
    Yikes - won't bother then!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Young Hustler

I'll check it out later!!
    You'll only find Baggy's "Chase me, chase me" sites.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X